The Listless Is Reborn

The first thing I noticed were the walls, they were painted with a light green hue. A color much more vibrant than the ones I would awaken to everyday.

Perhaps this shouldn't have been my first thought, as having awaken in a body that wasn't mine should have arisen larger concerns within me. I needed more information to relieve the worries plaguing me. Keeping myself calm was crucial as well.

I slowly raised my upper body from the bed and took a look at my surroundings. The room was furnished with a desk and a wall mounted TV. The most peculiar accessory I noticed were the potted plants that littered the edges of the walls.

I swung my legs over the edge of the bed and made contact with the floor. The cool feeling of the wooden boards seeped into my bare feet. I looked around, but failed to find any indoor slippers; perhaps this body I've taken over didn't use any?

I made my way over to the desk, taking notice of a phone on the edge of it. I picked it up and tried to turn it on, only for it to ask for a password. I quickly pocketed it, hoping I would remember the password later on.

Walking into the hallway, I was met with the deep amber eyes of a middle aged woman.

"We need to talk about your grades", was all she said before walking away. Taking this as a cue, I slowly followed behind her.

Many questions swirled through my head, was this woman my mother? Perhaps a wife? No, i can rule that one out. I wasn't wearing a ring and we woke up in separate rooms. She also mentioned grades, with this I can conclude she must be some sort of guardian figure.

While finishing my thoughts, we reached what appeared to be a living room. It was connected to a kitchen, with a half wall separating part of it. A dinky dining table was all that furnished the kitchen area. The woman gestured towards it, I assumed this meant she wanted to talk here.

I sat on one of the 3 rickety wooden chairs, feeling uncomfortable at the burning gaze of the woman sitting in front of me.

"You can't continue like this, you promised your grades wou- Michael Dolion Hines, you look me in the eyes when I'm talking." She spoke the last part sternly.

I looked up at this, not because I was worried about what she said, but because she gave me large clues.

I could take three crucial pieces of information from this. My new name was Michael; and it seems I wasn't the brightest person. Considering she is talking down on me, I can conclude she is indeed a guardian and I must be a student; perhaps a teenager. Finally, she spoke in English. I was no longer in my home country, but perhaps in America judging by her accent.

As she looked into my eyes, she seemed to lose her anger and instead took on a look of worry. "Are.... are you feeling alright?"

She was sharp, perhaps I wasn't acting as normal as I believed I was.

"Your eyes... they seem different.."

I didn't know how to respond, how would this body's previous owner react? I decided to use a concise response to clear her suspicions

"I..... uhhh... didn't sleep.... uhh.... too well"
Perfect, I blew it.

She surprisingly seemed to believe it, or maybe just didn't want to pursue it any further. She stood up from the table and began to leave.

"We'll continue this later, I need to get ready for work". Never mind, at least I seem to have bought some time.

I stood up as well and began to explore. From this, I was able to figure out she was indeed my mother. Pictures of her with a large belly, along with an ID picturing her with the name *DR. MOIRA HINES*

A doctor as a mother? I could consider this both lucky and unlucky. But, if she was a doctor, why was she living in such a terrible place? ; Was she struggling with a debt? Or perhaps...... she was waiting for someone.

This could be plausible. There were three chairs and yet only two seemed to be used consistently. Though nothing conclusive could be decided just yet.

Familial problems aside, I needed to know more about the world I was in. While the internet was the easiest source, the lack of a suitable electronic device forced me to think otherwise.

I decided the easiest way would be to go to a place filled with information, a library.

Before leaving, I would have to alert my new mother about where I was going. A small crisis proceeded in my mind as I knocked on what I assumed was my mother's room.

How did one talk to their mother? I had no such experience, so I decided to just talk how I always did; hopefully without causing her to become suspicious.

"What is it!" She shouted. She sounded far, maybe it was a large room.

"I'll be going to the library in a bit" Speaking in English seemed foreign yet comfortable at the same time. It also helped that I already knew how to speak it fluently before this body swap situation.

The doorknob shook before the door opened. Moir- .... mom.... stood behind it looking perplexed. "You? The library? Please don't lie anymore, where are you actually going Mike?"

Mike? Maybe a nickname of sorts. "Is it wrong for me to go there?"

"No, it's just..... please just don't get into any more trouble." She said with pleading eyes.

I slowly nodded and proceeded to my room in order to change into other clothes.

I settled on a white hoodie, blue jeans, and running shoes.

As I exited the house I discovered something new, I had no clue where I was going.

I stumbled onto the sidewalk, and began making my way towards wherever the most sound was coming from. Maybe people would be there, people who could guide me to my destination.

While walking I viewed my environment, a giant building I recognized as the Empire State Building proved my suspicion correct. I was in New York, or more precisely near Midtown Manhattan.

As I approached a crowd of people surrounding a store front, I noticed the TV on display. The reporter held the crowds full attention as she spoke. "-iving reports that Kentucky is now in the storms path, citizens are advised to rem-" I tuned out whatever else she had to say, I wasn't in Kentucky so it no longer mattered to me.

I walked towards one of the people in the crowd and asked for directions, he looked at me suspiciously before answering. I thanked him and went back on my way.

I wanted, no, needed information. This was necessary to lead a normal life. I had no plans on going back to my past life, I finally had what I wanted; freedom. Though in hindsight, I should've stayed home. There was no way for someone, even me, to predict the trouble I would get into. I should probably apologize to my mother right?

———————————————————————————
Hello, the Author here. Author? Writer? Whatever it is, just call me Tobi. I originally wanted to keep the MC a secret, but I can't figure a way around hiding his identity while furthering the plot. Therefore im just gonna be blunt, it's Ayanokouji. On another note, how was the story? Please list any criticisms you have, though please avoid just straight up hating. I also originally planned on stopping if no one read, but I've decided to try and finish it even if no one reads. Fuck it, I'm my own fan now bitches.

In other news, please make sure to press that little star on the chapter. I'm not too sure what it does as this is my first time writing but I think it helps others find the story? Like a boost of some sort? Idk

1295 Words, nice