The Library Puts Me to Sleep

The Library was more modern than I would like it to be. Glass walls riddled the interior along with stone gray walls. One wall in particular read "NEW YORK PUBLIC LIBRARY"

The amount of books were a little less than were available to me in my old school, but it would suffice.

Looking into the glass wall, I was able to see my reflection, albeit barely. Perhaps now was a good time to see what my physical characteristics were like.

I was surprised to see that I looked almost identical to what I did in the other world. Brown hair and brown eyes, along with a similar complexion. Though while taller than before, I did feel pudgier, as if I rarely worked out.

I gave up on my reflection, deciding I needed to start studying now. Turning around I saw a small child looking at me with perplexed eyes...... perhaps I drew too much attention by staring at myself for so long.

Finding an empty table, I set down the books I picked up believing would be most useful. History and Electronic manuals were most important, I needed to know if any of the past was changed and how advanced this world was.

Through this, I was able to surmise that most of the history remained unchanged from my previous world. In fact most of the world seemed unchanged from before. The only key factor that changed was the date, it seems I was not only transported into another body, but also into the past. It was 2009.

My original body was born only a few years earlier, does this mean that my original body is still functioning. But, how? If that body even existed anymore, then who was inside of it? What if I wasn't a transported, but instead switched with this body's original owner. But then...... no I would never meet him anyway.

That man.... he would never let his masterpiece escape so easily. Perhaps, my original body will never even become a masterpiece. A person who has experienced the love of a parent, or the luxury of freedom will never survive that place.

While having incoherent thoughts like that I slowly felt my head drooping. While this body may have rested, my mind hadn't. I laid my head on the table and drifted to sleep.
________________________________________

I awoke to the sweet sounds of ..... nothing? The hum of machines were the only noise awaiting me. I slowly stood up, walking towards the exit.

I thought that the library may have closed while I was asleep but the light streaming from the skylights proved it was still the middle of the day.

Stepping into the sidewalk, the most prominent thing were the bodies. People littered the streets, as if they all collectively decided that a nap seemed more important than walking. That wasn't all, cars were also stationary, and looking into them only created more questions as all you would find would be an unconscious driver.

I walked up to the nearest body and checked their vitals. They seemed alive, though in a very deep sleep. Forcing them awake may cause more harm than good.

This entire situation seemed fishy, and more importantly..... troublesome. Should I lay down and pretend to be asleep as well? That probably wouldn't solve the issue. To be fair though, I had no idea how to go about solving this problem. From what I could see, everyone had mysteriously fallen asleep. How many though? Was it all of New York, or just the section near me? I needed answers

Steeling myself, I began my walk home. I needed to make sure my parent was fine, that's what a child should do right?

If anything happened to her then.... I should probably stop by the store and buy some medication. Maybe that'll help wake her up, if she's even asleep.

There were still many things I didn't understand about this world, perhaps this was a normal event here. Comforting myself with such thoughts, I walked into a store called "Duane Reade" If I recalled correctly, this store chain was later bought by Walgreens.

As the automatic doors slid open, I wondered how I would pay for this if the person was asleep. Well, it's not like I had money anyway. I would just have to take it and pay later.

Now, when I walked in I expected an easy expedition. Getting some medicine and food that would benefit a sick person, and leaving. But what I was met with were children. All of them awake and.... fully armed? I heard America's weapons laws were complacent, but enough for kids to be walking around with armor and swords?

I needed to escape. There was no way these guys were here for a good reason. I mean, who just decides to go to the store dressed like some kind of ancient warrior?

My escape though, would never come to fruition. Because as soon as I turned around I was forced to stumble back, a sword placed in front of my neck. The boy who held it was an inch or two taller, he had curly brown hair and blue eyes. His face seemed battle hardened, something you don't see often in people, let alone a teenager.

"You... which side are you on"

"I- what?" What was he talking about

"A teen who's able to stay awake, you're obviously a par-"

"I honestly have no clue what you mean"

He looked at me confused for a second, before his face formed a goofy looking grin. "You really don't know anything? But if you're able to stay awake then you must be an unclaimed."

An unclaimed? What was that supposed to mean? Maybe he knew about my body swap, but it doesn't seem like the books I read had any mention of it.

"Hey! Travis! I found some reinforcements!"

Travis? Probably one of the kids in the store an- wait, what does he mean by reinforcements? I wanted no part in whatever kind of cosplay event these kids were doing.

"Uh, I'm not really following what's going on here, but I have to go"

"Sorry, but the battles kind of tight and any kind of help is gonna be needed"

This... was I being kidnapped? It's only my first day here, and already an absurd event is taking place.

"I need to go check on my mother, I need to make sure she's safe"

"We'll do that for you, for now just come with us" was the answer from another kid. This one seemed almost identical to the one holding the sword to my throat. Siblings I assume.

There seemed to be no way out of this. I could try and fight them off, but since this "negotiation" started some of the teens in the store formed a crowd around us. This situation would similarly make it almost impossible to run as well.

I was once again being forced to help someone against my will, apparently this didn't change after the transfer.

I reluctantly agreed as I had no choice, these kids should also have some answers. Whether good or bad.

"Glad you came easily". Did this imply there was also a hard way?

He proceeded to hand me a heavy bag, probably filled with stolen goods. "We're gonna pay for them, you don't have to worry" Was this kid also a mind reader?

"Carry it, we'll be needing the supplies." I heard him mention it earlier, but it seems they're currently in some kind of battle.

"Where.... exactly am I supposed to go"

"We're taking this back to the group of course, the Plaza Hotel. I'll explain everything there"

He said it so casually, as if I was supposed to understand where that was, or what group he was talking about

"We need to move fast, we don't know how long they'll last. Annabeth isn't in any condition to fight either"

Again listing names I didn't know. I sighed. This was supposed to be a less troublesome life.