Thanked By a Statue

The walk to their base was lively. Well, lively for them. I just stood by and saw them have fun talking.

"You're not a talker are you"

Looking to my right, I saw the boy who held a sword to my neck. Who knows, maybe I'd be more talkative if I wasn't being brought along against my will. Saying that to the person dangerously armed wasn't smart though.

"I just don't really know anyone here, it feels like I was left out as soon as I came"

Answering like that, I looked straight ahead thinking our conversation was over. But he continued.

"You know, you're also pretty calm considering the situation"

So he was aware that this was a strange situation?

"I'm actually really anxious, I just have trouble showing it"

This kid is really talkative. Actually, I never got his name, though I suppose it'd be stupid for a kidnapper to give his victim his name. Therefore, I dub thee sword boy.

"Oh yeah, I never gave you my name did I? I'm Connor Stoll; And you are?"

No, wait, I just gave you a cool name. He must be a mind reader.

"Nah, I can't read minds. That's probably some other deity."

I guess I must've said the last part aloud on accident. Though he did say something interesting.

"Deity? As in a god?"

He also said "some other" implying that he was in the same category as a deity. Though I'm not gonna bring this up, as it could cause some trouble.

"Yeah... I'll explain everything once we're in the base. It'll be much safer there."

That pause was not suspicious, no, not at all. Also, he said it's safer in his base? If their base is filled with more children armed with weaponry then literally anywhere else in the city would probably be safer.

"So you never answered, what's your name?"

It's as if he's trying to draw attention away from my question. I could give him a fake name, but if it's exposed then I would invite immediate hostility against me. Plus, if he's going to check on my parent then he'll need her name. I don't know why I actually put some trust in him?

"It's Michael Hines"

The look in his eyes immediately changed to one of sorrow, though only for a second. He soon regained his smile, though to me it looked like a bitter one.

"That's a nice name, I had a friend named that, he's a brave man"

In that sentence, he changed the words tense. He said "had" when referring to his friend, but he also used "he's"

A past tense, then a present tense.

Did this friend pass away? or maybe some complications within their friendship. Though changing to present tense means he's struggling with whatever outcome has befallen his friend.

I decided not to dig deeper, it would only cause issues.

We walked in silence for the remainder of the journey.
____________________________________

Walking through a silent city was a strange experience, almost as if we were in the middle of an apocalypse.

The kids voices echoed through the quiet streets. If these kids were actually at battle, they were terrible at being stealthy. Speaking of which, I hadn't even seen their enemy yet. I wonder what type of person would wage war against children.

"We're approaching the base now"

Another kid in the group pointed towards a building in the near distance. Their "base" was just some old looking hotel. Though I guess Connor mentioned it was called the Plaza Hotel.

This building wasn't tall, not by a long shot in comparison to the ones near it. It also wasn't located in a strategic area, as from my trip through the city so far I could see many more centrally located buildings. Were these people even trying to win their battle?

"C'mon move quick, lives depend on the stuff we have"

Wait, so lives were actually in danger in this battle? Maybe I should leave, like really leave right about now.

My discrete escape was immediately thwarted when Connor wrapped his hand around my shoulder, veering me into the building.

"No more worries, I'll explain everything to you once inside- is what I'd like to say, but it'll be easier on me to just have Percy explain it to you."

Percy? He mentions names as if I should know them already, maybe he was a little too good at socializing.

Perhaps this Percy is a high ranking person within this group of people, or maybe some recruiter?

The group began jogging towards the hotel. If the other group members bags were as heavy as the one I carried, then these kids must be very athletic. They didn't even break a sweat, as for me? I was struggling with ragged breathing. This body isn't very strong, I'd have to make plans to build it up later on.

Getting closer to the building, I noticed bronze statue with a motorcycle stationed next to it. The statue depicted a minor deity in Roman Mythology, if I remembered correctly...

"Pomona, the Goddess of Plenty.."

It's strange, my conversation with Connor tickled the back of my mind.

"THANK YOU!!! Finally, one who knows his things."

What? No, no....no. Yes, I must be tired, my imagination is really running wild today. I almost actually thought a statue was tal-

"Up here child! Where are you looking?"

I looked up, and was horrified to see the bronze statue looking down at me. It- it's talking??

"Aaaaaand moving on"

Connor shoved me forward a bit and began to drag me inside the building.

"Heyyy! The one who correctly identified me! Make sure you teach these other so called children of the gods. Teach them that there are more than just the popular ones"

"Sorry about her, some idiot called her Demeter earlier and now she's gunning for everyone who gets her name wrong" Connor smiled sheepishly.

"No, wait, I don't think that's my main issue her-"

"It's fiiiine, it's fiiiine, we'll give you that explanation as promised"

Stepping, or more like being dragged by Connor, into the buildings elevator, I wondered what other type of horrors awaited me.

———————————————————-
Authors Notes
Updates are gonna be slower as I have to re-read some Percy Jackson books to remember wtf is going on. School has also began screwing me over, I can usually consistently rank in the top 15 of my school, but they've made attending Zoom calls a grade so I'm beginning to drop to B's. RIP my band grade cuz I'm not doing that shit.

P.S
Fall into the rabbit hole known as Hololive, you'll enjoy the stay. PEKORA WIT THE DRIP FR FR