Ch. 9; The Attack on Graduation

Another year had passed since the ODM incident, the cadets were to graduate soon. Mikasa had slightly distanced herself from Aila and the others over the years, for an unknown reason. Sasha had gotten closer to Aila, Annie however was still as stalemate as ever. And behind the scenes, Annie and Aila began a relationship. Aila had perfected her titan transformation and how to manifest and use her titan's abilities, she also excelled as a cadet. The day of graduation was upon them. Everyone was excited, everyone but Annie, Mikasa, Sasha and Aila, who knew the truth beyond the walls and the threat they'll have to face soon after graduation ends. The cadets all stood in formation, awaiting the commandant's appearance and his revelation of the top ten cadets that were eligible for the military police. Aila stood a completely different person, she stood tall, straight-faced, and strong. "I'm ready for everything.. as long as I have my comrades, I'll always be prepared", Aila thought to herself as her memories of her training and good times with her comrades flooded her mind. The commandant stepped onto the platform before them and cleared his throat, "ATTENTION!", he shouted, everyone saluted, acknowledging their superior. He took in a deep breath and lowered his voice slightly, "Today your training as a cadet is officially complete! Tomorrow you will be choosing your regiments! There are three of your choice, the garrison regiment! This regiment reinforces the walls and stands guard as the first line of defense of the walls! The survey corps, this regiments' sole purpose is to discover what's outside the walls and to attempt to take back as much of the land we have! And the military police, only the top ten graduates will be eligible to join this regiment! This regiment focuses on keeping order within the walls and serving the king directly!", Sadies explained to the graduates. Aila clenched her fists and took in a deep breath, furrowing her brows as she thought to herself, "I WILL join the scouts and retake my home! And I WILL kill Reiner and Bertholdt!".

Sadies began to speak up once more, "NOW! Those of you that I name will step up in front of the class in order!", he pulled out a list from his jacket pocket. "Mikasa Ackerman in first place!", Mikasa emerged from the crowd and stood unfazed in front of everyone. "Aila Brandt in second!", Aila soon joined Mikasa, Mikasa glanced at her and smiled slightly, happy to see that she did so well. The commandant continued, "Reiner Braun in third! Bertholdt Hoover in fourth! Annie Leonhart in fifth! Eren Jäeger in sixth! Jean Kirstein in seventh! Marco Bodt in eighth! Connie Springer in ninth! And Sasha Braus in tenth! These are the top of your class, take notes to those of you who didn't make it!", he shouted as he proudly presented the top ten candidates of the 104th. He dismissed the cadets once he was finished with his speech, they all returned to their dorms to get changed to go to the mess hall and celebrate their graduation. Annie and Aila sat at a table with Christa, Ymir, Sasha, and Mina Carolina, the cadet that stood on the other side of Aila opposite to Ymir. They all talked and even got Annie to laugh a little, but it all stopped when Eren began to shout at Thomas Wagner, a fellow cadet, for doubting the scouts. Eren soon ran out with Armin and Mikasa following after him, Aila sighed, this was a usual for Eren. Annie grabbed ahold of Aila's hand, "Aila.. tonight I want to show you something new", Annie said quietly as she blushed. Aila's face began to heat up and turned beet red. Although Annie said so quietly, nothing inappropriate can escape Ymir's ears. "Ouuu~, does everyone need to clear the premises when you 'show her something' Annie?", Ymir asked as she leaned in towards the couple, smirking. Christa elbowed her ribs, "Ymir knock it off! What they do in their time is not your business, just like it should be with our personal time", Christa nagged at her crude girlfriend. Time soon passed, Sasha ate all the food at the table and at the buffet and was on the verge of a food coma, Ymir was three sheets to the wind, and Mina was on the verge of falling asleep. Annie tugged on Aila's sleeve as she looked down at the floor, her face red as a tomato. Aila soon began to resemble Annie once she realized what she was motioning for. Aila took a deep breath, stood up, and walked with Annie to an empty dorm room at the end of the hall in the girls dorm. Annie then closed the door and turned the gas lamp at its lowest.