Ch. 40; Demise

As they flew, the plane was filled with a dead silence, no one spoke, no one cried, it was only silent mourning. Aila sat, her thoughts filled with anger and sorrow, and in all honesty, fear, of what may happen in order to stop the rumbling. Armin walked to the others, "Now, shall we discuss our plan?", he asked as he looked among them all, they all nodded. Armin drew out a model of what Eren's titan looked like, though not all that detail, Pieck and Levi overlooked the scetch, analyzing it. Aila stood up and walked over to them to see for herself, "You guys have a good picture of Eren's titan form, correct?" "Well.. it's not really detailed but, my point is that it looked like an insect with a lot of bones", Armin explained to Pieck. "If you think about it, the body would be in front of the spine", Pieck pointed out, "We can use ODM gear, but I doubt it will be successful" "In other words, we don't know where Eren is?", Aila asked as she sat down next to Armin. Pieck sat back in her chair, "Even if we don't know where he is, it's possible to destroy it, just like how you destroyed that port without a trace, even if you have to use your colossal titan", she said, reminding Armin of the heinous deed he had committed. But he shrugged it off, "Exactly, that's the best option", he replied as he looked up at Mikasa, who sat behind Aila. She looked at him with her mouth slightly agape in shock, "But first I'll talk to Eren, but... when there's no other option.. I'll use it as a last resort", he said, reassuring her that he didn't want to have to kill his best friend. Levi uncrossed his arms, sitting forwards a bit, "I know there's no better way to solve this but.. didn't Eren activate the rumbling through Zeke? If we can kill Zeke first, will the rumbling stop?", everyone looked at him, trying to think and see if he was right. Armin responded, "Yeah, maybe so", Levi looked down at his feet, "There's no confirmation... but Hange suspected it" "But I don't know where Zeke is", Pieck cut in, reminding him she has no information on him at all. Levi remained cold and still, "We just need to find where that dogshit is hiding the titan... I swear, I will kill you, with my power", everyone sat staring at the captain, knowing that once he declared he would do something, he would see it through to the end.

Jean was the one to break the silence, "Hey captain.. you know... I killed many of my comrades to get this boat going.. it can't be a meaningless massacre... I'll do everything, to stop the rumbling", the others looked at him, both sadness and pride in their eyes, sad to know he was right, not just about the blood on his hands, but on everyone's. Connie sighed, bending down and leaning on his knees, "I... killed Samuel and Daz.. I slaughtered my comrades, while being told I'm a traitor, while saying it's to save the world... ah Reiner.. he and Bertholdt.. it must have hurt", Connie said as tears brimmed his eyes. Ymir let out a sigh as she leaned on the plane wall, "It's a sin that can't be atoned, even if we save humnaity, we can never forgive ourselves", she said as she got up and walked to him, placing her hand on his head and patting it, "So... at least, we can save the rest of humanity", he placed his hand on her own, looking up at her with a weak smile, "Sure... Ymir, we can't atone but.. we have to try" "Yeah... we're the same, I can't condemn them.. I also killed to save others", Jean added on, Ymir rustled his hair with a smirk, making him only smile in response. Armin looked back down at his sketch of Eren, "Eren can influence all Eldians and titans, yet we still can use our titans without issues", Aila gasped slightly, a thought had come into her mind. She looked at Armin, "Eren.. could have possibly left us alone?" "Yeah, he's leaving us alone, like... he's testing us", Armin backed her. Mikasa frowned, "Why? We could stop the rumbling" "Even he.. must be hurting... no one can fathom global genocide, at least not me. Now.. he might want to pass the founder, if he could... he would want it all to end.. by someone", Sasha replied, thinking of how Eren used to be. But just as she finished her sentence, without a warning, they were all transported to a place nowhere on Earth. Aila immediately recognized it, it was the place she met Ymir, "This is.." "Again?", Jean cut in as everyone began to remember the place from when the rumbling had just begun. As they all looked around, Levi spoke up, "What... was he listening?", the other stood and processed what he just said, and realized that that was entirely possible.