Ch. 16; Betrayal

As the smoke of the siege on Utgard castle settled, the scouts had helped everyone back to the wall. Mikasa and Sasha soon got word of the events that took place, and rushed to Annie and Aila's side, worried for their friend, "Aila! Oh my god are you ok?", Sasha asked as she practically slid to Aila. Aila smiled at the sound and sight of her friends, "Hey Sash, Mika, I'm ok now just well, healing hahack.. eghk eghk!", Aila said groggily as she coughed, Annie couldn't help but worry for her beloved in her lap. The sight alone would scare anyone who didn't know that titan shifters existed. Steam emit from the arm and legs along with the chunk of her stomach that were missing, but they were growing back, slower than usual because of the fight she had just come out of. Annie stroked her face, moving the streaks of hair from her eyes so she could see her beautiful face clearly. Mikasa knelt down and held Aila's surviving hand, "I'm so sorry we didn't get here in time.. you wouldn't be in this condition if we'd just gotten here soon-" "Mikasa stop", Aila said sternly cutting her off, slightly shocking her. Aila smiled, "You couldn't have known that tens of titans were going to attack us at the dead of night, it's no one but Marley's fault that this happened", the three of them gasped at the mention, confused yet all in the know at once. "Wait, why do you say that?", Annie asked frowning in confusion, Aila took in a deep breath, "Well, since the secret is out now might as well say it out loud regardless of everyone else here. It was the beast titan who attacked us yesterday, I saw him climb the wall to escape and so did everyone who survived". They froze in silence from fear and shock of the news, "N-No.. that means Marley is... is-" "Is sending reinforcements because the three warrior candidates they sent five years ago have yet to return...", Annie said cutting Sasha off. Everyone including Aila began to sweat in fear of what might happen next. Aila flinched from a sudden shock of pain, "Ghgh! S-Son of a bitch my-my stomach is killing me!", Mikasa and Sasha stood up, "Hang on, we'll grab a tourniquet so you can rest", Mikasa said assuring her as she and Sasha got up and ran to look for the medical supply. Tck! Tack! Tck! Tack! Footsteps along with the clanking of ODM gear grew closer and closer to the two lovers, when Annie turned her head towards the sound, she saw the most unexpected person, section commander Hange Zoe and her second in command, Moblit Berner. 

Annie scoffed in annoyance and irritation as they grew closer, knowing they were only coming to bombard Aila with questions after questions, not letting her rest for a moment. "Heya kiddos! Rough day innit?", the section commander shouted as she knelt down next to the two, smiling all the while. Aila sighed knowing what was to come, "Hello section commander sir, I apologize I'm not standing for you at the moment", Aila said as she raised and rested her right fist onto her chest, saluting her superior. Hange laughed, "Haha! No need to be so formal rookie, geez you're a loyal one for putting formalities before your own health, you have my respect", Aila relaxed into Annie's lap, taking in her soft touch, "Well I'm sure you're both aware as to why we're here to chat up your ear huh?" "Yes sir...", Aila replied as she clenched her fist, in fear of what would happen to Annie and the others. Hange pulled out a pen and small notepad, "Ok, well let's get started. Now, why keep your power hidden even though Eren was open about his?" "I was at his tribunal, I saw what humanity did to the things they did not understand, and I have people I want to protect from those who wanted to kill anyone who knew about it, just as the jury suggested that you dissect Mikasa too because she defended Eren", Aila replied as she held Annie's hand. Hange's smile faded as she wrote onto her notepad, "Yes, I can see why you wouldn't wish harm upon those you care for, however you put the lives of those few in front of humanity itself" "I'm sorry... but.. you're naive to think such things", Aila said as she stared into the sky. Hange shot her head up and frowned, "Huh?! You mean to tell me that you're friends are more important than huma-" "Those in the walls are NOT the only fragment of humanity left", Aila cut her off. Hange froze in place, mouth wide open and sweat dropping from her brow, "It's true commander, and we have proof", they all turned to see Mikasa and Sasha returned with a tourniquet in their hands. They placed it down and raised Aila onto it, covering her with a spare scout cloak, they sat down next to Aila and Annie and faced Hange, seriousness shone from their eyes. "Proof? Y-You mean you ALL know this is true?", but before anyone could answer Hange, Ymir and Christa walked up from behind her and sat with the others. Ymir sighed and looked up, "Yeah, it's true, because me, Annie, Bertholdt, and Reiner are all evidence of such", she said quietly, trying not to alert anyone else.