chapter 5

dear diary, 

last night was something I really needed, spending time with my mom has always been sort of therapeutic. 

im not sure how exactly im gonna adjust to her not being here, I already look over my shoulder constantly when she's in the house, I cant imagine how thats gonna be without her here.

one less person around to talk to now. 

I know that our last move was preemptive and that he hasn't found us, but I still cant help but fear the dark corners and creaks around the house. 

I think im going to need better security in order to feel safe again. 

My alarm wakes me up 6am sharp, leaving me around 45 minutes to get ready for school. I shut my diary and put it on my dresser, ready to get up. 

It's a little weird not hearing my mom yelling for me to get up, but I know I'll get used to it soon enough. 

I didn't have time to shower last night, so I had to wake up even earlier than usual to take one now. 

I get out of the shower and throw on a t-shirt and underwear to blow dry my hair, deciding I want to straighten it today.

It falls a little below my mid back, reaching just below my chest from the front. I haven't gotten it cut in a while, but I think I'm starting to like letting it grow out. 

I put on ripped 'mom jeans' and a white crop-top, throwing on my white Doc Martens and grabbing my denim jacket from my closet. 

I decide to skip breakfast today and just have a little more to eat at lunch, not really in the mood to make my waffle. I grab my keys out of the dish on the table and spot money and a note from my mom that says, have a nice day sweetie! love you, text me if you need anything. 

I smile at the note and leave it in its place, turning to the door and getting in my car to go to school.

***

After the short drive to school I get out of the car and head for the front of the building. I see Tyler off in the distance getting out of his own car and make eye contact with him as he shuts his door. 

"Hey!" He yells, and I wave in response, walking towards him instead of the school.

"Morning! How are you?" I greet him with a smile, feeling extra friendly today.

"I'm good! You look nice today. You like nice everyday, but today you look extra nice," He says, earning a laugh from me. 

"Thank you, I decided to put the sweatshirts away for today," I respond, and he nods raking his eyes up and down my body to get the full look. 

"It's a nice change. I meant to ask you yesterday in class for your number, if you don't mind. I just figured for assignments and stuff, my partner is weird and yours is, well, you know. You can say no if you wa-" I cut him off mid rant, putting my hand on his shoulder. 

"Relax, Tyler, of course you can have it," I take out my phone and hand it to him, watching him punch his number in and send himself a text. 

"Cool, thanks," He shuts his car door and we start walking towards the building together, making small talk along the way. 

Out of the corner of my eye I see Chase get out of his car and start walking towards the building. As if he could sense my stare, he snaps his eyes over to mine and meets my gaze. He then trains his eyes on Tyler walking with me and looks away abruptly. Weird.