chapter 6

dear diary,

I went to bed a lot earlier than usual last night, I felt really stripped of energy.

it was nice getting out of the house, I just couldn't stop thinking about the fact that chase is so touch and go with me.

I don't know why he is holding such a strong grudge, and part of me wants to find out.

I know that no one ever really stands up to him, but he should be over it by now, I haven't really been rude to him since then despite his constant attitude.

I shut my diary, deciding to leave the entry unfinished. I don't really know what else to say, that's how confused I am about this whole situation.

It was really nice to sleep in for a change. I felt kind of guilty missing school and contemplated going in late, but it's already 11:30, which means there's only an hour left of school.

I roll over and reach for my dresser, unplugging my phone and grabbing it. I have a few texts from Blaire, one from Matt and another from Tyler.

I open Blaires first, seeing that she asked me where I was and if I was okay. Tyler just told me that we didn't do much other than work on the project in psych, and Matt asked me where I was.

I respond to Blaire and Matt with the same message, that I slept in. I thank Tyler for letting me know and open google to check out where the nearest hardware stores are. I find one a few miles away and get ready to leave, wanting to go buy the new locks before it gets dark out.

After I get dressed I run downstairs and grab a waffle, plunging it in the toaster and then walking over to the fridge for water.

I can't help but let my eyes wander back to the picture peaking out behind others, four smiling faces in a tight embrace. I take the paper into my hands and stare at it, willing myself not to get worked up about this again. I look at the man in the photo, his arm wrapped securely around my body. I clench my jaw at the sight of his hand on me, bending the photo where his body turned to mine and ripping it.

I hold his body in my hands, putting the picture of the three of us back on the fridge before ripping him to shreds and throwing him in the garbage. He doesn't belong in this house, or any of the others. I don't know why my mother didn't rip him apart earlier, but I can't stand it any longer.

I hear my waffle pop and walk over to the toaster, buttering it before putting it in a napkin and walking to the car.

***

After asking the worker which locks are best, I decide to grab three of the strongest ones, figuring that has to be enough to hold someone out.

I pay the cashier and thank them before walking to my car, ready to go home and try to install these. I feel my phone vibrate in my pocket, and I take it out to see a text from an unknown number.

Unknown: What's your address?

I stare down at the text, wondering who the hell would send me something like that, my mind immediately going to a dark place.

Me: who is this

I wait for a response, my body tense as I run through every possibility. I know it sounds dramatic, but I bought these locks for a reason.

Finally my phone vibrates, and I relax as I stare at the response.

Unknown: It's Chase. Where do you live?