Chapter 9

2 Years Ago

The new place gave me and the cats a lot to explore as I went about to putting everything into their new places and getting the cat things set up. The felines were happy about there being food and used their litter box right away after I set it up.

I called Boss's number and he must have been busy because he didn't pick up. I left him a message saying that everything was finished and that the J's were on their best behavior.

The rest of the evening that I wasn't unpacking or reading through my contracts or wondering about my implant really made me feel like my life suddenly picked up in a big way. I had never done this much in one day before.

It was a few hours after I had gone to sleep that my phone beeped with a message.

Read page seven, paragraph four of the contract. I was too tired to get up out of bed so I stayed asleep in bed until the rays of day shone through the large panel windows that acted as walls for most of the exterior of the apartment. The cats meowed for their breakfast until I climbed out of bed and fed them their kibble and some wet cat food.

I searched through my pile of new contracts with Boss, the club and the doctor's to find the one I needed to read. And after setting about to making some coffee and reaching for an orange I leaned against the counter and found the page in question.

Contractee will undergo a permanent visible symbol of membership to the club and will ensure that it is in a place deemed openly visible to all and cannot be mistaken for another Conglomerate's symbol. This must be done within two weeks of activation of membership.

Permanent.... symbol..........

A tattoo?!

I should have read the entire contract before signing. This is so stupid, though now that I think about it all of the J's from yesterday had a tattoo that had the groups symbol in it. I didn't think anything of it until now.

I sent a text back with two words.

Tattoo? Really? No sooner had it been sent, a text replied with,

Yes.

I swear this  man was going to be the death of me.

---Later That Day---

I had just finished unpacking and organizing everything to my liking when my phone started to ring. I didn't really focus on who was calling until I answered,

"Yeah?"

"That's not a very nice way to address your boss." I froze and resisted the urge to retort back.

"I apologize Boss. What is it you need of me?" I could practically hear his smirk in his voice.

"Seeing as you had read the page instructed, I would like to get you in for the appointment within the next few days. Are you available?" I went back to setting up my television and thought on it.

"I have practice at the club tomorrow afternoon and the following day as well. I guess any time after five or six should be okay." A grunt was my response.

"I will be by tomorrow after your practice at the club to retrieve you. The appointment will be a few hours so make sure you have something to entertain you as I will be too busy with other matters to converse." Nerves sprang forth in me and I tried to ignore them but no matter what I did they just kept crawling under my flesh.

"Understood. Good night Boss."

"Good night my little song bird."

--- The Next Evening---