Chapter 13

Two Years Ago

My first performance two weeks after Pam helped me was surprisingly easy seeing as how the only people I had ever sang for were my friends. So I pictured them in the crowd smiling at me. Even though nerves shook me I swayed with the music and used some of the sly smiles and hip movements to draw in the eyes of customers who had never seen me before or heard my music. Men were transfixed and could not move until I had finished a song. One song every hour for the first few days of actual singing.

I enjoyed every moment.

Until my first assignment from Boss.

My office, one hour. Such a message two hours before another shift at the club was pressing me for time but I knew that if I didn't show up I would be punished. Boss himself hadn't contacted me since he had thrown me out of the car after the first tattoo day and until now had been silent in instructions. Not so much as a phone call or group grunt to report in. Then this message out of the blue.

Seeing as how I was going to see Boss just before work I knew I had to at least make an attempt to look nice while showing off the tattoo he was so insistent I get. So where I usually got ready at the club, I went ahead and got ready at home before heading over to Boss's office that was conveniently only two blocks away from the club.

Since this was only the second time I had been to his office, I found it ironic that the first time I was here I was dragged in here. Now I walk in of my own will. Men were pooled in every available place there was to sit and some even stood as they were playing cards or chatting amongst themselves. As I strode through the throng of men, their conversations ceased and their eyes landed on me hungerly. A beautiful woman walking among them was sure to rile them up. But as I passed and their eyes landed on my back, they quickly looked away. They knew exactly what the giant wolf with the symbol of the group on its chest meant. I was not to be touched.

The giant from the first time I was here stood before the door I was to enter and where I would have expected him to keep me from going in, he turned, knocked once and opened the door for me. I braced myself mentally and physically as I entered.

"Ah, my rising star. Good things are already heard about your voice. More will become of it the harder you work." I didn't sit but instead remained standing just before his desk. He finished writing something on a paper and set down his pen. Using his hand he made a twirling movement that told me he wanted to see the finished product. Not wanting to face his wrath once again, I turned around and allowed for him to see the finished wolf.

It was a sight to behold. The mighty paws reaching for my upper right shoulder as its tail curled down low to my hip. Near the breast of the creature was the Dorian symbol that called to everyone who looked that I was under the protection and ownership of the head of the mafia.

"I knew it would look perfect on you. Just as I always know what is best for you." I didn't respond to the jab at my reaction to him weeks ago and just turned back around, keeping my head down a little.

"Why have you called for me Boss? Is something the matter? I have a shift in just an hour or so." He motioned for me with the same hand as before to come closer to him and I did. He reached for a tan manila folder and set it before me.

"Open it." I did as he asked and pulled the pages back to reveal a photo of a man who looked to be in his mid thirties and with very little hair on his head. He wasn't very attractive but something told me that it wouldn't matter.

"Jefferson Louser, age thirty-nine. Owner of a local chain of stores that has been doing well. He's getting ready to expand outside of state and has a little money he can donate to our cause. He is your target. Seeing as how this will be your first assignment, I will not ask for much. Aim for fifty-thousand dollars and if you can't convince him to get that high then reach for twenty-five. I don't want him harmed or threatened for the money and I will expect that you do not reveal why you need the money from him. He will be seated at the front tonight as he received a tempting email about the club. After your fourth performance of the night, do what you must to get him to a private room in the back where you will get the money from him. Check is easier since it doesn't require counting. Aim for that if you can. If it is cash then make sure you are not seen leaving with that much as it will raise suspicions of the police or passersby. Understood?"

I was finally getting an assignment. From today I was going to start doing work for the mafia.

What a terrifying thought.

"Understood."