Chapter 11

2 Years Ago

It had taken three more days to finish the accursed tattoo and afterwards it was a beautiful work of art that meant nothing to me as my own life seemed to be. I had practiced and worked for Pam but even she could feel that I was slipping into a life that felt soulless and empty. I had nothing and she could feel me falling away.

"Enough. There's no emotion in it girly. Whatever happened to you the other day must have destroyed a piece of y'er soul. There's nothin' in there. Bone dry." She came down to the stage and lifted my face up from where it was angled to the floor. I felt no drive for this anymore. I felt nothing.

"Sorry Pam. I'll work on it." She released my face and shook her head. With a sigh she reached for the mic and began to sing. A spark of something inside of me had me looking up as she filled the club with her majestic voice as she poured out her heart to the empty chairs and dark room. I couldn't see how she was able to have so much life even though she at times seemed like her spunky attitude was just a front.

"H-how?" She stopped singing and looked back to me with a grin.

"Why do you think I'm so good at picking up on music? This was originally a club for talented artists but demand for clubs with attractive young women with their boobs out sells more. I had a career once upon a time but it was taking me away from my kids and husband too much so I retired early and used some of the leftover money to build this place." She had such a life?

"Something happened with Boss Man didn' it?" I looked down again and wanted nothing more than to disappear at the mention of the man.

"S'what I thought. He can be an uptight ass when he wantsta be. Listen Deary, take it from an old woman like me, lifes too short to be caught up in a dream. The reality can be hard to swallow but ya' gotta keep movin' forward." Tears pooled in my eyes where I didn't want them to be. I didn't like the idea of showing weakness in front of anyone that had to do with the group and someone who was now my boss. I moved my hair to the side and turned around, thankful that the back on this particular dress was very low so that nothing of my raw flesh was being touched. I heard her gasp at the sight and trembled with sobs that were leaking out from my lips.

"This is whats he been doin' t' you the past three days?" I nodded and fell to my knees in anguish and despair. Pam might be a strong woman but I was nothing. As Boss said, he made me into what I am.

"Tha' man has no tact. Hurtin' a beauty such as y'er self. Men and markin' their territory. Stay here." She ran off stage for a moment or two and returned soon with a cream in her hands.

The first initial touch of the cream was so cold and was on such sore skin that I cried out immediately before it started to numb the skin and feel better.

"This'll help fer a few hours but you're gonna have t' reapply it later. I wan' you t' take the next three days off t' recoup. Ya hear me?" I cried harder as I nodded. She was way too kind since I was supposed to be starting to perform in two weeks.

"I can never thank you enough," I choked out and sat as still as I could as she finished up on the cream. When she was finally done I wept now from relief as it was the first time in days that I hadn't been in pain. She helped me up and back to my room where she slipped me out of the dress and assisted as I climbed into my clothes I had worn to work. Seeing as how even at home I couldn't handle the pain I had worn a backless shirt that was really only for the beach and a pair of leggings. I wasn't sure how I was going to get the cream on my back but if it could take the pain away for a few hours I would do anything.

"Don't let Boss Man get t' ya. He's put a lot into you so he won't let you jus crash n' burn. He may've done this as punishment for somethin' but keep your head down n' jus do what he asks. He gets better with time." I gave her a hug which she was careful in reciprocating and I went to my car and headed home to rest. And rest I did. Since the tattoo was finished I didn't have to worry about going back again tonight so I knew that whatever I did this evening wouldn't really matter to anyone but me.

I had just gotten home and fed Donnie and Perse when my phone started to ring. I checked the caller ID to see Lexi's name and photo come up on the screen. Excited I answered and gushed over her appearing when  I needed a distraction.

"My girl. What's up?" She giggled in her special way and started to tell me about how bored she was at work now since I wasn't at the office anymore.

"I'm so lonely and that guy Greg from accounting has been hitting on me again. I don't think he gets that I'm really not that into him. Like what does it take dude?" I sat on my couch and careful of my back rested my shoulder against it instead.

"I don't think he ever got it. Same with Steven from marketing. He was just as bad I recall." She sighed dramatically.

"Girl, he is still waiting to ask me on a date. What is it with all these dudes at this place. It's like they've never gotten some before."

"Lexi, you are beautiful and have such an amazing personality. No wonder guys flock to you. They want to know the wild feline that lays under those witty comments and gorgeous lashes." I heard her giggle though the phone as she thought I was joking. I wasn't.

"You are too kind Sophie." Perse climbed up onto the couch and curled up on my lap, my fingers moving over her soft fur as she purred her little heart out.

"Only telling the truth." There was chatter on the other line before I heard Lexi's clear voice again.

"So today is Wednesday. You in for some karaoke? I know you are a big shot in your new place and all but that never stopped you from singing." My throat was still sore from work but I couldn't pass up the chance to hang out with my friends.

"Usual place?" I asked. She squealed with excitement.

"We are leaving work now. Meet you there in forty-five." With some pleasant goodbyes, I carefully stood and went to dress, careful to find something fun and casual while being mindful of my back. I wanted tonight to feel normal. Or at least as normal as I could get.