Chapter 28

The fans had missed me in my two week absence. Even as I was singing my second song of the night, I could feel their excitement for my return. Some of the regulars who came to listen to me sighed with content at my music that had taken me another two weeks after my last attempt here at the club to perfect. In fact, it was Doctor Parks and Pam who had gotten me through it all as they were people I could talk to and trust to keep my words private.

And even though Pam had felt that it was too soon for me to return with having been removed from the Dorian group and my experience in Brazil, she couldn't deny that having me back would help me to move on. I almost expected one of Boss's men to show up with a target's photo and name. And as much as it would have made me happy, I knew it would not come.

In fact, since Boss's exit from my life, even the J's had become distant. I even received a call that my horse was being retired early from the track and would be transferred to a stables just outside the city where I could come any time to ride him as my tack was also taken along with him. Julius, Perse, and Donnie were the stars of my recovery as if I wasn't at home with my fur babies, then I was either at work getting ready to go back or with Julius who was more than excited to see me and ride until we were both sweaty and tired.

Upon my return to the stage, able to sing once more, I had told Pam that I wouldn't be able to sing the sultry songs that promised sex anymore. I hadn't even once been aroused since Boss left my apartment. No one appealed to me and I felt no drive to even want to do such things anymore. Just to keep moving forward.

My current song was more about the trials of life and getting over them. Instead of bright flashy colors that usually accompanied my music, I opted out for darker pieces like black, dark blue, purple or even white when I was feeling completely empty. Even though my songs were darker and less sexy, the fans had come to enjoy the new Seraphine as I was no longer wearing a mask and was letting myself be more, well, me. More Sophie.

Once the song was over, I smiled, the first few real ones I had felt in a while, and exited the stage for the next girl to come out and dance for the customers. I went back to my room, closing the door behind me with a shaky sigh as I just wanted to sob again. It was my first day back and already I was a mess. As I sat at my vanity, fixing the makeup that needed fixed from when I had wept earlier, I looked at all the photos around me of those I held dear. I even added one from the trip to Brazil with the girls that I figured was a nice one seeing as how the beach had been relaxing and fun.

A knock on the door surprised me as I wasn't due for another song for at least an hour. When I answered it, a girl who I had come to know as Candi stood before me in a very short dress, a letter in her fingers.

"Customers want to meet you. Said to give this to you so you would know who it was." She walked off as if she had better things to do. I didn't take her attitude to heart as we weren't exactly close. I opened the letter and saw a drawing of a pair of lips. I grinned and headed for the room number on the back of the letter. When I arrived, I knocked and entered, the lights on in the private room lighting up everything from the wine glasses to the leather couches.

There on the two adjoining couches were my friends. The J's had brought flowers and were all mingled amongst my other friend group who, as I entered, gasped at my appearance. Since some of them hadn't seen my new hair cut let along what I did for a living, it came as a complete shock to them. Lexi, Kaitlyn, Amber, Sadie and her boyfriend Johnathan. I'd have to tell the J's Johnathan that there was another one.

"Congrats on your first day back," Jonah yelled and everyone cheered after he did, raising their glasses. Tears came to my eyes, not out of sadness but out of sheer happiness. I couldn't believe that all of my friends were here wishing me good luck on my first day back to work since the trip.