Chapter 7

2 Years Ago

My cellphone started ringing first thing in the morning a few days later. The apartment boss had recommended had turned out to be quite nice and I had spent the better part of the day yesterday packing and getting ready to move. So reaching for the phone, I didn't think anything of who was calling but just in silencing the blasted noise to sleep more.

"Hello?" I said groggily.

"Good morning Seraphine." Boss?

"Good morning Boss. Is there something you need?" I sat up and felt the need to stretch my arms and legs with a wide yawn.

"I understand you are moving to your new apartment today and I wanted to see if you needed a few hands to help you. I can get a crew together to assist you in the transfer of apartments if you so wish it." Seeing as how all of my friends were either busy or working I felt grateful.

"If it isn't too much trouble. I have a truck coming about nine this morning to start loading it in. I want to try to do everything in one or two trips." I stood from bed, not caring that I was in a t-shirt and panties. The cats had been laying with me but now that I was awake they stretched as I had and followed nearby to see what I would be up to.

"Is the truck small or large?" I walked into the kitchen, looking for my mugs in the boxes. I couldn't do the morning without coffee.

"I believe large. I don't have much so it should do. If I need a trip or two more I can just have the guys drive it all over." I chuckled to myself and fixed my coffee maker to start brewing. A soft laugh on the other line made me realize that I needed to be more respectful when addressing Boss.

"Sorry. I guess I shouldn't talk like that." I sat at my kitchen table and reached down to pet the kitties that were swarming around my feet.

"They are your brothers in arms Darling. You can speak like that as you wish. You and I will find a professional flow as we get to know one another. As for the men I will send your way, they will keep your new apartment location a secret and will do as you wish for the move. They aren't slaves so don't go ordering them around but they are there to help you and will be careful with your belongings. They will show up at nine-fifteen. Be ready for them." The coffee maker finished its brewing and started to dispense into my cup.

"Understood. Should I report once everything in finalized?"

"Yes. I am impressed that you are starting to understand your place with us." I rolled my eyes and felt the weight of what I had agreed to weigh on my shoulders again.

"I will do as you wish for me Boss."

"I know you will." The call cut and ended, my hand pulling back to get a good look to see if I accidentally ended or he did. Boss definitely did.

"Goodbye to you too I guess." Coffee done, I reached for it with eager hands and added some creamer. Sipping carefully, I sighed and went to work on double checking all of my things. Most of the boxes were sitting in the living room waiting to be put on the truck and the rest was mostly clothes to pack or food.

"Clothes first. You guys coming?" Little meows met me, my smile genuine as I strode back to the room to dress first for the day then to pack.

-Two Hours Later-

I had just finished packing my clothes when a knock came to my front door. Perse and Donnie, as I had come to name them, darted from the room to see who was here. Dressed in a pair of black leggings and an old t-shirt that said, I'm with stupid, I hurried from my room and scooped up the cats who were staring at the door.

"Just a second," I shouted and carefully put the cats into their carrier, closing the little door behind them.

"Give mommy a second babies. Gotta deal with the wolves." The knock came again and with a frustrated huff I turned the knob and opened the door with a quick and wide swoop.