Chapter 19

The darkness felt cold and damp and no matter how much I wanted to pull the covers up I couldn't seem to find them. In fact, I couldn't feel the comfort of a bed anywhere. I struggled to open my lids to look around and found that any movement of my head caused a terrible ache that just wouldn't go away.

"Lexi, I think I-" When the events of Boss's hotel room rushed back to me, I made my lids open and look around. A basement like room surrounded me with nothing to decorate it like a bed or desk. The walls were a plain grey of mud and the floor itself was made of cement.

I struggled to a sitting position and leaned back against the wall with a groan. A metallic squeak echoed throughout the room piercing my throbbing temples and a small rectangle of light no bigger than an envelope opened into the room.

"Hello? Where am I?" A shaded set of eyes landed on me, the look cold and dead.

"Digale al senor Mario que esta despierta." Spanish. I'm still in Brazil. The mention of Mario must mean that when that luggage guy came in with the gun that maybe he was tired of waiting for my response and was going to have a guy do it anyways. But Boss wasn't there and I was. What better way to get back at Boss than to steal his song bird.

The light disappeared as the little slot was closed, drowning me in dark. If I had ever felt fear towards anything before, it felt like a child's fear of bugs compared to this. I shook from the empty terror that ran through me and I struggled to my feet, pain shooting everywhere that was able to be felt. What did they do, throw me around like a rag doll?

I felt my body and found that I was still in my dress from the bar, only minor cuts to the fabric and my skin. I hoped they didn't scar.

Stumbling toward where the light had come from I felt the sharp change from stone to metal as I could feel the cold steel against my finger tips. I started to pound my fists against it for hopes that it would open and I could try to run but nothing came for near what I was sure was twenty minutes. I needed to get out.

There were voices soon on the other side of the door and after a loud clanking sound the door opened, myself taking a few steps back to avoid the backlash of my actions. I could see from the shadows from the light that there were two men by the door and three more in the hallway. Also from what I could see there were other doors similar to my own lining the other side of the hallway. A prison?

"Ven con nosotros linda dama." I couldn't understand what he said but the way his arms were reaching out for my own made me back up and shake my head. I didn't want to be anywhere near them.

"No. I want to go home. I want to see Mr. Dorian. Senor Dorian." They all chuckled at my attempt at Spanish and the two who had been by the door strode into my cell and grabbed me roughly by the arms, both holding one by the wrist and upper bicep to restrain their frantic movement as I tried to free myself. With me in their clutches I was pulled along as we exited my cell, my fear doubling as I found that there were nearly ten more metallic doors that lined the walls for a hallway that led to stairs.

With calloused fingers they dragged me up the stairs to another door that was metal. A few knocks let the people on the outside to open the door and as it opened, there were two more guards standing watch. That equaled out to seven so far and we hadn't even gotten to the main part of the house that I had seen. Winding hallways that all blurred together wove us through the house until we came to an office like room with a plain kitchen chair sitting in front of it. I was sat in the chair and tied with zip-ties around my wrists behind my back and both of my legs.

Why was it that every time I met with a mafia boss one on one it was with me tied up?

"Miss Black. How kind of you to join us." I narrowed my eyes not just because of his words but also the bright sun that shone through a window behind him.