Chapter 5

Two Years Ago

"Come back next week once your flow ends and we will go ahead and get you that implant. I know you've probably heard a lot of bad things about it but with the amount of men in the group and you being such a young woman yourself, I really do believe that it is the best choice." The doctor handed me her card with a date and time written on it so that I could remember when to come back in.

"Thank you. I'll go ahead and put it into my phone so I don't forget. Anything else I should know before I go?" I grabbed my purse as she was escorting me to the front of the clinic. When she reached for my hand to pull me back, I had to refrain from pulling away. I had gotten to know her and she had just felt part of my body from the physical but I was still jumpy about anyone associated with the group.

Looking strait into my eyes she said,

"Keep your eyes open and an ear to the ground. The more you know and see, the safer yet more in danger you are. Do you understand?" I swallowed and nodded. Good advice from a good lady.

"Understood. Thank you." With her final words of warning, I departed and headed to the night club that the Boss said I was to work at.

The club wasn't far from where I knew Boss's compound to be so when I arrived before a light tan building with no windows and a sign that simply read Dreams met me. The front door was locked as it was still relatively early for customers on a day like this. I called the last number in my new phone and a very tired sounding voice answered.

"Dreams. Can I help you?"

"Um, yes. I am supposed to drop by and get fitted today?" There was shuffling on the other end of the line followed by a sigh.

"Dorian's girl. Gotcha. What time will you be here? I can't wait all day to get you in. I have to get ready to open up 'ere in a few hours for the early birds." Early? It was late afternoon. How is that early?

"I'm actually outside right now."

"Oh. Alright, give me a minute." A beep signaled the end of the call. Bringing it down from my ear I wiped at the polished screen and put it back to sleep mode. No sooner had I put the phone in my purse than an older middle aged woman opened the door before me. She was wearing a black bustier, rouge leather jacket and black skinny jeans that went with her ruby heels. Her hair was a crazy fire color that I couldn't pinpoint the true color it was supposed to be and her eyes were the shade of moss rolled around in dust.

"Come in darlin'," she waved and took a step back for me to enter. I had been in many clubs before and seen singers and stages but seeing one I was to work in was another story. It didn't feel like a club but instead where I was going to be working. A different type of office.

"So let's get this outta the way. I am the club owner and manager Pamala Davis. You will call me Pam. None of that Mrs. Davis stuff. Not that kinda lady. I know your real name but Mr. Boss Man told me that you were to be called Seraphine. Cute and kinda on the nose if you ask me but what the big man says goes. Anyways, he tells me that you have a good voice. Since this is a business, I need to hear you as well before I decide anything for sure. Can't go against Boss but I have to make profit somewhere in this investment." Her spunky attitude made me smile. She and I would get along I hoped.

"Sure. Is there anything you wanted me to sing?" Pam wandered up to the stage and grabbed the microphone on the stand and motioned for me to go up. Complying, I took the microphone from her and felt my pulse spike.

Karaoke is one thing when singing in front of people but professionally is another story. She went up to a booth looking area and watched as she hit a few buttons. Bright lights like high beams lit up the stage, my eyes going blind as music started from all around.