Chapter 22

There was no better feeling than arriving back in the states with at least my sanity in tact and even then, it was barely hanging on by a thread. I had slept for a few hours during the flight and when sleep was evading me once more after being mentally asleep for what I am to understand was five days, I found my bag and changed while Boss slept, and went out to join the girls and the J's. There was a haunted look I had never seen on my friends before when I sat across from them and it was as if I was someone else instead of their friend.

While we unloaded from the plane and prepared to go back through customs, I went over to the girls while keeping an eye on Boss and his condition as he moved around slowly.

"Is everything okay?" I asked them. At first they didn't respond but I knew better than to think that they were fine.

"Okay? Okay? You were kidnapped and beaten up over a mafia war that you are somehow working for. And to top it all off you never told us for over two years." I tried not to let the pain of the betrayal that they were feeling seep into me but it was fruitless. There was just too much that they had to take in. That was exactly the reason I didn't bring them into this.

"To protect you from this world. I wanted you to be safe from men like the ones who took me." Our voices had risen and gained the attention of Boss, the J's and Charlie, whom I had just learned was our co-pilot the whole trip here. I had to take care of this before Boss lost his temper with them. He was in too much pain to have the patience for rude behavior.

"Protect us? You said that our trip to Brazil would be a vacation for two weeks and here we are home a week early and we were just hidden for the past five days in a weird plane hanger that smelled like burnt rubber." My own anger built as I tried not to let out my aggression on them. They didn't deserve it.

"Kaitlyn," Lexi chided and I put up my hand to stop the blonde. I crossed my arms over my chest that was covered in a long sleeved black shirt that matched my leggings that went down to my ankles meeting my flats. The outfit covered all of the bruises save for the ones on my neck and face.

"No. Let her finish. I'd love to hear how nice it was to stay somewhere safe while I was in a cell being fucked by who knows how many men who took advantage of my weak body. So yes Kaitlyn, tell me how horrible it was to be in a plane hanger for five days. Seems like a five star hotel compared to my week." I grabbed my bag from one of the J's, tears in my eyes as I went up to Boss and bowed my head.

"I'd like to get Persephone and Adonias and go home please. It's been a long day." Boss put his arm around me in a comforting gesture and led me to the terminal where we entered and went through customs, everyone else keeping their distance but following behind. When we got to where there was already a car waiting for us, I knew that this one car wouldn't fit us all. In fact it looked like it would fit probably just two people. Boss pulled out some money from the suit jacket he was now wearing and handed it to my friends who carefully took it as if it was going to burn them.

"I will be taking her home. Here is cash for a cab. I apologize for the shorter than expected trip as it was my fault it was cut short. Do not blame Miss Black for things going awry." With that he turned and motioned for me to get into the car.

"See you this week Seraphine?" Jonah called out and I waved back at them with a nod.

"I think it's Jesse's turn to buy. My place, usual time." All six of the J's, tired and some recovering from bullet wounds, smiled and waved as I got into the car and sped off with Boss. While on the way to the pet hotel my kitties were in I glanced over to Boss who took his jacket off with a hiss. I couldn't see much but from the small amount of blood coming through his dress shirt I could tell that although Dr. Gaffigan had stitched him together, he was still bleeding a bit.