Chapter 14

Most of the people from the fiesta were not included in this special business meeting. When we had entered a spacious room that was in a basement like setting, I was sure that perhaps this was my end. No one enters a mafia boss's basement and lives to see the next day.

"Please have a seat," Mr. Mario said as he and a few others who looked similar to himself but perhaps a little thinner sat in seats that were surrounding a long table. I knew my place and stayed standing as Boss took  the chair at one end of the long table. Both Charlie and I stood behind him showing our united front.

"I have prepared a stage or the beautiful Miss Seraphine to perform. We will hear her voice before we proceed with business. If you would my dear?" All eyes fell to me as a curtain off to the side of the room opened to reveal a microphone and lights that shone directly on it. I looked to Boss for confirmation and with a nod from him left my clutch with him as I took to the stage as most nights for the past two years. This was my primary job. I could sing well enough and even dabbled in writing my own but now was the most important performance of my life.

A man off to the side was sitting before a laptop that was connected to the speakers and microphone. I leaned down and whispered my song before he nodded and went to work on my request. I found my place behind the mic and situated myself so that the best effect of my music would be my movements and passion to the music. With a single glance from me the guy clicked for the music to begin and I waited with light breaths and electricity running up and down my spine.

The first notes I sang flowed freely from my lips as if they were nothing more than vapor and soon I swayed to the trance of my own music. I chose a tantric song that allowed for lighter notes and gave me a sense of that of a cobra. Swaying to the music of its master.

Deep throngs of beats pumped my blood through my body more than my heart. I could feel myself falling into the music willingly. The business men including Boss were all watching me with close and careful eyes as my every movement seemed to put them into the same trance I was in. I could barely keep my eyes open if not for the burning look I was receiving from Boss. As far as I  had been aware, he had never been to one of my performances. I think this was his first time seeing his hard work come to life.

As the song gently came to an end, I turned with the mic in hand and brought them together in a prayer, showing my back to all of the men who were present the tattoo I had. It was a small display of who I belonged to and that I took pride in it. If the men had liked the song then they would probably have liked the sight of a woman's back but the wolf gave them a terrifying realization.

I may be a song-bird who works for the boss of the Dorian group but I was not the little lamb they thought me to be. I was indeed the wolf who stalked her prey and got what she wanted from them.

A predator.

Clapping echoed through the room as I turned back around and bowed for a performance well done. I had traveled thousands of miles for this and I did well. As I took my place back at Boss's side, the men looked on with envy. Now this look I was used to.

"Most impressive. Voice of an angel and the body of a temptress. Such a prize is worth so much more than could ever be paid. I wonder if children by her would produce such beautiful genes." I felt Charlie move closer to me and a flame that had been low and soft today rose into a blaze that scorched my insides. There were still monsters like this in the world?

"Excuse me senor Mario but that is taking it a step too far. You asked to hear her in addition to the deal and so you have heard her. It is time to begin negotiations." Charlie pulled a manila folder from his coat and handed it down to Boss. However he was able to fit that in there I was not sure but that was convenient.

"Lo siento Alexander. The business man inside me is always thinking of ways to make a profit." He too reached for paperwork that was already sitting before him and he had one of the men around the table pass a packet to Boss. If not for my angle behind Boss I would have thought nothing of the previous words by the Brazilian mafia boss but when I checked Boss's neck, I could see his pulse throbbing as a vein made itself known.

Boss was pissed. He just wanted to do business and be done with it all.

"This agreement Alexander will set up trade routes and cargo runs thought the southern portion of the-" I blanked out for the rest of the meeting as it was all about business that I didn't follow well or care to be involved in. The less I knew the better and yet sometimes words would peak out at me from behind the veil of obliviousness.

"I never sign into an agreement without giving myself at least a week to confirm with my lawyers and advisors on ever word. Will you still be in town to finish this deal Alexander?"

"Yes. Both my little bird and I will be here for the next two weeks taking a holiday that we have been needing." The other boss chuckled and closed his folders as he stood.

"You chose the perfect place. Such a beautiful country, si?" The country yes. The men? Men like him put a dark blotch on it.

"Si. For now we will retire back to our lodgings. A pleasure seeing you senor Mario." Boss stood as did the rest of the men around the table and with a few more glances at me we left the room, needing no escort as we hurried out.

"Ah, Miss Seraphine, remember what I talked to you about. I will contact you if you are interested," the plump man called out and with one look from Boss that said he would chat with me in the car I followed along with my head down. With one moment, the dumb bastard put me into a dangerous situation that I had avoided since I heard the word Freedom.

We got to the car in no time and soon we were off back to our motels. We barely left the driveway when Boss turned to me.

"Explain." I took a deep breath and looked to him, keeping my eyes aimed at his tie so that we didn't connect them.

"He spewed words of praise and flattery after which he voiced his interest in my line of work." I kept it short and refused to mention the wanting to free me from Dorian part as I knew that would not only cause the business deal to turn sour but for an all out mafia gang war to begin. We didn't have the resources to do such a thing.

"Your line of work? Was he trying to take you from me?" I shrugged and moved my eyes back to the seat in front of me.

"We didn't chat much during the time. He mentioned that I was like an expensive call girl and moved into my job and what I do." Boss's body vibrated with rage as he loosened his tie and pulled out a cigarette.

"You are mine. What do I have to do to prove that to everyone. You even ended your performance with showing off the mark that says you are mine yet he has the nerve to think that he can try to take you from me. Such insolence. Which good touch by the way. I hope that you are more discreet in your live performances at the club." I nodded and allowed a small smile to slip onto my lips. I knew he would like the show of ownership so I had thought on how to perfect it while I had dressed for this evening.

"I do not let customers see what they shouldn't see. Not that they would focus on my back to begin with." Boss calmed visibly and chuckled a bit.

"No, I don't suppose they would."