Chapter 10

2 Years Later

Seven fifty-five rolled around quickly as a knock echoed at my door. I retrieved my clutch and checked my hair and makeup once more before deeming myself fit for performance. The stilettoes I had on my feet were nothing compared to the ones I was sometimes wearing while at the club but they none the less made me feel too out of place.

When I reached the door, I peaked through the hole in the door and held back a sigh as I opened the door to reveal Boss and Charlie, both dressed nicely in suits.

"Come on in gentlemen," I welcomed and allowed them to pass inside. Instead of entering, Charlie spun around and stood outside the door like a brick wall, daring anyone to come inside.

"Alright then," I said and closed the door and went to the kitchenette to fetch some bourbon that I had preordered for Boss's arrival. Already the man was standing by the couch checking a watch on his wrist.

"I thought I said the black dress?" Other than the clinking of ice in a glass, I didn't respond right away. Instead I poured the liquid and took it over to him with a slight lowering of my head. Instead of the black dress I knew he requested, I went with the red, seeing as it was only one of two special occasion dresses I had brought along. Boss took the glass and took a deep sip before focusing his attentions to me fully.

"I did not know I would need it so I only had the red or the purple. Red seemed the better choice." His eyes traveled from the top of my head to my feet, finding the floor length blood red dress acceptable by his nod of approval. The slit in the leg that led from my ankle to my mid thigh helped to make the dress not only appropriate as an evening gown but also would draw the attentions of the crowd. The dress was held up by sheer lace that wrapped up around my neck and allowed for modesty where there would normally be none. The back of the dress was just above my bum and showed off the great wolf tattoo that showed that I was of the Dorian group so that no one would be mistaken as to who I belonged to.

I had my hair lifted up and into a style that let pieces flow about and others stay close to my head in the appearance of a messy yet controlled bun. 

"Fine. Are you ready to go? It will take us time to get to the estate through the evening traffic." Having already messaged the girls to let them know I had a meeting with Boss and was going to be gone until around two in the morning, I was safe to leave.

"Is there anything else I should take with me besides a purse and phone?" He started for the door, myself close behind.

"No. That should be fine. Come along then Seraphine. Time for my little bird to sing." I rolled my eyes as I followed him into the hall, the door locking behind me as Boss, Charlie and I all went down to the lobby where a very nice car was waiting for us.

The traffic in the city was indeed bustling and very unnerving as I struggled to follow the route we were taking incase I needed to remember it. And though most people who were out as it was getting dark were locals heading home and some tourists, the sidewalks were becoming more and more barren. Could it be that bad here?

It took about thirty minutes before we turned outside of town onto a small road that curved up around a villa that sat on a hill. I heard music before I saw the bright lights of a party. As the car came up to the front door to let us out, Boss set something in my hands. It was a black mask with red threads weaving around the eyes and outlines. It went well with both this dress and the dress Boss had wanted me to wear. Like he knew I would have either. When I glanced over to him he already had a mask on, black matching his own suit but there was no red. Just darkness that framed his bright eyes and sent a flutter into my stomach.

"Did I forget to mention it was a masquerade?" I set it on my face and allowed for the elastic band in the back to set against the hair I had worked so hard to tame.