Chapter 6: Finding Him (part 2)

Valentin?^^^
____________________________________________________________

Chapter 6: Finding Him (part 2)

"We need to talk. Nik, can you give us a minute?"

AnnaLee felt panic rise up in her belly. Maksim intimidated her. He has already had one display of violence. AnnaLee didn't care to see another.

"Actually, I would be more comfortable if Nik stayed."

Maksim looked at the girl with puzzled eyes. Why was she so adamant on the beta staying?

"Care to elaborate on why his presence is needed?" Maksim asked as he raised an eyebrow.

"Not really." Anna mumbled.

Nik sat in the corner watching the show before him with a big smirk on his face. He could already tell that the young human would be giving his alpha a run for his money.

Maksim gave Anna a pointed look.

"If you must know, I just witnessed you kill a man. Forgive me if I found that concerning." AnnaLee countered.

Maksim's face fell. An abundance of questions raced through his mind.

She trusted Nik?

The girl thought he would cause her harm?

Would he?

Surely, he wouldn't intentionally cause her harm. He was adamant he wouldn't hurt her physically.

But what about emotionally? Yes. Maksim had been known to cause damage in that department.

He refused to hurt her and Maksim didn't see a way to be with her without having some type of pain on her part.

His enemies would see her as a weakness of his. They would cause her physical pain.

He certainly couldn't confide in her. The demons he delt with would certainly cause her mental anguish.

Maksim wouldn't subject her to that.

He could see how innocent and naive she was. Being with him would strip her of that.

No, she certainly wasn't fit for him. The girl wouldn't be able to withstand his life. She wouldn't be able to withstand him.

Maksim would not be the girl's undoing.

Coming to this realization, Maksim replied, "Fine. Stay, Nik."

The Beta gave Maksim a questioning look. Nik expected him to protest with great strength.

Maksim ignored his beta by turning back to the girl.

"Tell us how you got here."

AnnaLee filled them in on her grandpa's passing and her break down. She spared most of the details, knowing she would get emotional. AnnaLee could tell this was not a place to show weakness.

When she completed her testimony, Nik was looking at her with compassion. Maksim's look, however, was quite passive.

The alpha was cold yet again.

Upon realizing that the two wolves weren't going to continue with their interview, AnnaLee decided to ask a few questions of her own.

"You bunch are werwolves, correct?"

Nik snorted, "Shifters, darling. We are shifters."

Maksim, however, was troubled by her question. How did she come to that conclusion so quickly? Any reasonable person would have came up with a more rational explanation of what they saw. They would not be able to cope with the truth. To humans, shifters didn't exist.