Chapter 20: With Love Comes Power

Nik lifted Anna's shirt over her head absent-mindedly, as he searched her face for any emotion. As soon as the words left his mouth, she became quiet. Nik would have assumed she had gone brain-dead if it wasn't for her eyes. 

They showed him that she was confused, nervous, but above all, she was scared. Knowing Anna, her fear wasn't for herself, but for her pack and mate.

"Anna..." 

The girl lifted her head slightly to look at Nik, but her features were still made of stone.

"I need you to stay here. Don't come out no matter what you hear or see." Nik warned.

"You think he's a danger to me?" Anna asked, her brows knitted together.

"I don't know what to think. He hasn't hurt anyone yet, except for the doctor who went to check on him earlier. Broke his arm. He is causing damage, though. He's going through every house wrecking furniture. All the pack members say Maks seems to be looking for something, but I think he's looking for someone." Nik said, giving Anna a pointed look.

"I've given everyone orders to stop him. We can't let him get close to you. If the Alpha is gone, our priority becomes the Luna... He's in wolf form. The doctor says it's like his wolf side has taken over completely. If Maksim isn't in control, there is no telling what he will do."

"How does he know that his wolf side has taken over?" Anna asked, desperate for more information on Maksim's wear-a-bouts.

"He's the pack doctor." Nik answered flatly.

"Yes, but how can he tell?" She said, restating her question.

"Because he looked into his eyes, Anna... and nothing was there."

She wanted to scream at his answer. Was Maksim really lost, and if he was, would it be permanent? However, screaming wasn't an option. Anna was now in a position of leadership. She couldn't act so immaturely when other people were depending on her to be strong, even if her reasons were justified. 

"Fine, I'll stay here." She said, defeated.

Nik nodded, thankful Anna agreed. He hadn't expected her to comply so easily. 

"Ok. Here, put this on." Nik instructed as he threw his shirt at Anna. "Remember to stay here, no matter what happens, no matter what you hear. Promise me. The pack won't be able to survive if both its leaders are out of commission."

"I promise." Anna agreed.

***

Anna sat in the dining room of Nik's small cottage. No matter how much she tried, she couldn't stop wringing her hands. 

Dread filled her stomach as soon as Niklaus stepped out the door. She was very aware that there was no possible way tonight could end without loss.

She should't have let Nik go out there. She shouldn't have let the pack try to protect her. But she knew that her biggest mistake today was pushing Maksim over the edge. Anna knew he was only cold to her because he was scared to let her in. 

 She just couldn't take it anymore. It wasn't the fact that she was being pushed away. She could have handled that. It was the harshness that he shoved her with that made the situation unbearable.

But now things were different. Now, Maksim could be gone forever, lost in the mind of a deranged wolf.

Guilt washed over her at the thought.