Chapter 11: Confronted (part 2)

__________________________________________________________________

Chapter 11: Confronted (part 2)

After an eerie silence grew over the gym, Maksim dismissed his pack members back to their earlier activities.

Anna was thankful for that. She didn't know what to say to everyone.

Nik had taken a break while Valentin decided to leave.

She was now sitting beside Maksim, who had continued his conversation with Oli. She wasn't paying attention to them, but could hear pieces of their conversation.

"So, when will we see the return of our alpha in the ring?" Oli asked casually.

"Now, if you have an opening. I need to let off some steam." Maksim answered. Oli nodded and went to make the arrangements.

Immediately he felt a tugging at his arm.

"You're going to fight?" Anna asked, seeming alarmed, as she looked up at Maks with wide eyes.

"Yes." He stated simply. Maks seemed calm, but was secretly bewildered by the girl's concern for him.

"Was this the plan all along? To make me watch you fight?" AnnaLee spoke, her words angered.

If Maksim wasn't bewildered before, he definitely was now. Why had she become angry all of the sudden?

"I was always planning to fight today, Anna. The only reason I asked you to come was because of Oli." Maksim said narrowing his eyes at the girl.

"Right this way, Alpha." Oli said, upon his return.

Maksim went to follow him, but stopped when two tiny hands fisted the back of his shirt.

He whirled around to yell at the girl for getting in his way, but was silenced by her state.

Her cheeks were blotchy and her eyes were brimmed with unshed tears. She looked completely overwhelmed.

"Please don't. I know I'm being ridiculous and you probably fight all the time, but I'm not used to this. I've had enough excitement for today." Anna begged. What she said was true, but she didn't tell him her biggest concern. She didn't want to see him get hurt.

Maksim stared at the strange girl for a long time. He knew she was not used to wolves all around her, training and throwing punches. What human was? To add to all of it, the poor girl had just stepped into her Luna role on accident.

However, Maksim needed to release some pent up energy. He hadn't shifted since Anna fell into his territory. At first, it had been because he was too busy dealing with the timber wolves. Now, the Alpha had been avoiding his wolf form because he was scared of the outcome. He knew his wolf side would be harder to control if he shifted.

Maksim had to fight.

But upon looking at the tears that threatened to fall down his mate's cheeks, he knew he couldn't.

Without removing his gaze from Anna's big green eyes, Maksim said, "Don't worry about it Oli. I won't be competing today."

Anna's eyes widened. She hadn't expected him to actually listen to her.

Rushing forward, she wrapped her arms around Maksim's waist and hugged him to her.

Maksim froze. Why was she hugging him?

Looking down, Maks watched as Anna snuggled her cheek into his chest, seeming content.

Maksim didn't like to be touched, much less snuggled against. However, he seemed to not feel as repulsed as he would have liked by the girl's touch. In fact, he wanted to touch her, too. Badly.