Chapter 10: Surprises

I would really appreciate it if you guys could write some reviews of the book. I'll pick a few to put on the story description for people to see. Thank you all!
_______________________________________

Chapter 10: Surprises

Maksim woke up to a pounding in his skull. Never before had he suffered from such an agonizing head ache. After about an hour, he mustered the strength to slither out from under his sheets.

Maksim sat at the edge of his bed, dressed in only his boxers. He knew he would have to get up eventually, but he just felt so tired.

He was pulled away from his thoughts as he felt an intense pain go up his arm, only it wasn't his pain. The feeling sent chills up his spine.

Anna.

With the knowledge that his mate was hurt, Maksim's wolf-senses ripped through him to take control.

He did not shift, but allowed himself to get lost in her sweet scent. It served as a trail that would lead the alpha right to the girl.

His heart was racing, as his claws extended and his K-9's dropped.

Maksim's vision clouded to help him focus on her smell. He knew his eyes had blackened.

The alpha was depending on his wolf-senses entirely.

Her scent was getting stronger and stronger until he heard her scream out of fear.

His vision cleared in a matter of seconds, allowing him to look around the room for any signs of danger, only to find nothing.

"Maks, let go. Are you ok?" came a muffled voice under him.

Maksim peered down at her, only to realize what he had done.

The alpha had her pinned to his chest tightly, his arms pressing her to his half naked form.

Had he been the reason she screamed?

"Maks?" Anna questioned, her breaths warming his chest.

Maksim shook his head, as if to relieve himself of his trance, and peered down at the little lady.

She seemed fine, but Maks inspected every inch of her anyway.

"What happened?" Maks asked, as he dropped his hold on her. He expected Anna to back away from him, but she remained where she was.

"What do you mean?" Anna asked, her brow furrowing.

"I mean, how did you hurt yourself? Your arm isn't it?" He asked all too knowingly.

"Oh, that... I'm making bacon and the grease popped on my arm. How did you know?" Anna brushed off.

"Let me see." Maks said as he grabbed her arm to inspect. He only saw two little burn marks.

He didn't understand. It was natural for a shifter to feel their mate's pain, but the pain he felt was so intense, it led him to believe the girl was being attacked by another wolf.

"Why did you look so scary a minute ago? Your eyes were black and I could see your teeth and claws." Anna asked. She was cooking and turned around to see him standing their. It startled her so much it caused her to scream.

"I was worried about you." Maksim answered before he could catch himself.

When he realized what he admitted to, he frowned.

"Really?" Anna asked with wide eyes.

"That surprises you?" Maksim asked narrowing his own eyes.