Chapter 13: Innocent

"I can't believe you let him in. What were you thinking?" Maksim growled at Anna.

"He was my friend." Anna replied, looking down. The poor thing was so tired and stressed over the day's events, she didn't care to argue.

"A friend that was ready to kill you. You were so stupid, Anna! Weißt du das?" (Do you know that?- German)

"I'm not stupid." Anna muttered. She was embarrassed because of all the eyes that were fixed on her.

Maksim had already called Nik and Oli. Valentin and a few others were there as well to assist with the clean up.

"Are you sure about that? Because from what I've seen today, it's questionable."

"You killed my friend, so you could at least give me a break." Anna snapped, causing Maksim to growl again.

"I killed your 'friend' so he wouldn't kill you! Did you forget that part? Maybe I shouldn't have interfered. Would you have been happy, then?" Maksim sneered, beyond angry.

When she didnt reply, he was ready to start in on her again, but Nik cut him off.

"Maksim, take it easy on her. What she did was reckless, but she also lost a friend today. Look at what your doing to her, bruder."(brother- German) Nik stepped in.

Maksim glanced at Anna and slightly shuttered at what he had done. Big crocodile tears cascaded down her soft cheeks, as she silently cried.

Kneeling in front of her, Maks took hold of Anna's little hand, causing her to look up at him.

"I'm sorry. I'm just exhausted." Anna apologized, while wiping at her eyes.

Maksim stared at her for a long time, but finally stood up to face the other men in the room.

He unconsciously massaged her neck under her hair. His need to have contact with her was growing each day, whether it be physically or emotionally.

"Go home." The alpha said, to which they all complied.

"Now," Maksim turned toward her after they were alone. "Get up and come on."

Anna trotted behind Maks down the hall.

"What are we doing?" AnnaLee questioned.

"You said you were tired."

"I am, but my room is downstairs." Anna said, confused.

"I know that. You aren't staying in your room anymore. You will sleep with me from now on, because I can't trust that you will be safe on your own." Maksim said, as if she were a child.

"Ok."

Maksim turned to look at the girl. Why wasn't she fighting him on this? She grew stranger by the second.

As if reading Maksim's thoughts, Anna answered.

"I just don't want to be alone." The girl offered.

Maksim frowned at her words. He didn't want to be alone either.

The alpha wondered what else they shared.

Upon entering the room, Anna walked right to the bed and started taking her shoes off.

Maksim gulped. He hadn't thought this through. He was beginning to get uncomfortable.

The Alpha almost stopped breathing when Anna pulled her shirt over her head, but then he realized she was wearing a camisole underneath.

"Could I wear a pair of your sweatpants?" AnnaLee asked, pulling him from his daze.

Maksim didn't trust himself to speak, so he silently selected a pair, and threw them at the girl's head.

When she couldn't catch them, they covered her face, causing her hair to fly everywhere.

Maksim chucked lowly when she began to giggle. He enjoyed amusing her.

Straightening herself, Anna made her way into the bathroom to change.

When she came out, Maksim was trying to make a bed out of the armchair in his room.

"You can sleep in the bed, too. I don't mind." Anna offered.

"Well, I do." Maksim grunted, not even looking her way.

"It's really not a big deal." Anna said, ignoring his rudeness.

"It would be inappropriate." Maksim explain, holding on to his old time values.

"It's not like I haven't done it before. I would feel bad for making you sleep on the chair."

Maksim's head swung towards her automatically.

"You've done what before?" He asked.

"What?" AnnaLee was confused. He always seemed to randomly change the subject.

"You said, 'it's not like I haven't done it before.' What we're you talking about?" Maksim inquired.

"I have slept in a bed with someone before." Anna clarified. It didn't seem like a big deal to her.

"With a male?" Maksim asked intensely.

"Yes." Anna knew where this was going.

Maksim seemed unsatisfied with her answer. "So, did you-"

"What do you really want to ask me, Maks?"

Maksim raised both his eyebrows in surprise. He didn't expect her boldness, especially on this subject.

It seemed like Anna was challenging him. He had to show her he could be just as bold.

"Have you ever been with anyone before?" Maksim asked, seriously.

"Only once, with an old boyfriend about a year ago." Anna said with honesty. She thought this might upset him, but she wasn't big on lying.

Maksim nodded, seeming a little disappointed.

"What's wrong?" AnnaLee questioned. She knew he was disappointed in her and for some reason, that hurt her deeply.

When he didn't answer, Anna became upset.

"Don't be mad. I'm sure you're no angel." Anna said. She didn't know why he was acting this way. Anna wouldn't hold his previous escapades against him.

He didn't answer.

"How many girls have you been with?" AnnaLee asked, her voice filled with curiosity.

Maksim was good looking. She braced herself for a high number.

"Aucun." (None-french) Maksim revealed. "I was taught at a early age that sleeping with other women would only cause my mate pain, so I waited, unlike most."

Anna could see his cheeks begin to turn red and she wanted to cry.

He had waited to save her from heartache. Now he was embarrassed, because she hadn't done the same. He should be proud of himself.

If only she had known she had a mate. Then, she certainly would have done the same.

"It still means something to me, Maks." Anna said, desperately trying to salvage the situation.

Maks nodded, but didn't look convinced.

"I know it would mean something... with you." She added.

Maksim's eyes shot to her in an instant.

Anna's cheeks were getting redder by the second, but she held her ground.

Even if she had already given herself to someone, she hadn't lost her innocence.

At this realization, Maksim could feel his control wither away.

If he didn't leave, he would do something they both would regret.

Maksim had to get out, and fast.

___________________________________________________