Chapter 22: In Sickness and In Health (part 2)

_______________________________________________________________

Chapter 22: In Sickness and In Health (part 2)

"How will this work?" AnnaLee asked, as she parked the old truck in front of the hospital. She was nervous about going against Maks' wishes, but curiosity and worry wouldn't stop nagging her.

"I can't tell you what's going on and I can't take you to him." Niklaus answered. He felt guilty for defying his alpha, but he couldn't leave his luna out of the loop. He understood why Maksim made this decision, but he knew it was a stupid one... One that would leave the pack without an Alpha.

And perhaps, overtime, without a Luna.

"Then how in the world am I supposed to figure out what is going on?" Anna was exasperated. She had never even seen the hospital before, much less been inside.

"I'm sure Maksim has given the doctors and staff the same command. You have to find someone he hasn't and wouldn't reach through mind link. Ask them for help in finding him." 

Anna nodded at Niklaus, taking in his instructions. She went to open the door when a firm set of fingers wrapped around her arm.

"And Anna..."

"Yes?"

"Brace yourself. I've never seen him like this. He had a good reason for wanting you to stay away- I just- I couldn't leave you blind. You have my loyalty always, Luna." With that, Niklaus kissed her knuckles and watched as she blessed him with a lovely smile and walked in.

Had he made the right decision? If so, why did he feel so much guilt watching her leave? 

If this didn't work out in his favor, it would be his fault that she knew. 

He felt his heart go out to his luna at what she was about to see.

It may break her. But he was willing to gamble it. If he didn't, everything he knew would crumble.

***

Anna looked around the hospital lobby. She was shaken up by Nik's warning, but she couldn't think about that now. Looking up, she caught sight of a nurse a few feet away looking at some paperwork.

"Hi." 

There was no reply.

"Um...I'm AnnaLee McBride..."

Silence.

"I came to check on my mate... He- well he isn't doing to well and- and I was hoping you could... " Anna's sentence trailed off as the woman got up and walked away as if she didn't even see her. Did Maksim cause her to act that way? Did he make everyone ignore her?

This time, Oli walked past her. Maybe he would be able to help.

"Oli! Hey, Wait up." 

He kept walking forward as if she hadn't said a word.  Anna tried a few more people before she realized it was no use. They were able to speak to each other, but no one would even look at her.

Anna looked around feeling over whelmed. How was she meant to find him if no one would speak to her? There were to many people here for her to use their connection to find him, as she did the night before.

"Mama, I'm going to get a lollipop."

At the sound of a small voice, Anna spun around, only to see a young girl of about 4 or 5 skipping away. 

A glimmer of hope sprang through. Would Maksim use his alpha tone on a young girl? AnnaLee hoped not.

Soon enough, Anna was hot on the girl's trail.

"Hey, Im Anna. What's your name?"

"Are you the Luna?" The young girl asked with wide eyes.

"I am."

"I'm Ella." 

"Ella, I'm in a bit of trouble. Do you think you could help me?"

"Yes! My mom said I'm supposed to do anything the luna or alpha asks."

"Well, do you think you could tell me where the alpha is?"

"Oh," Ella said as she looked down."I don't know that."

"Are you sure? Do you think you could smell him?" Anna asked desperately.

"I can try." Anna watched as the young girl closed her eyes and took a big sniff of the air, her eyebrows furrowing in concentration. If it had been any other time, Anna would have laughed at how cute her action were, but she could only hope that the girl's senses were strong enough to sniff Maskim out.

Opening her eyes, Ella began to speak, "I think he is upstairs, but im not real sure."

"Thank you so much, Ella." With that Anna took off towards the stairs. The whole way up, her thoughts were on Maksim. Was this just a game to him? Why did he have to make everything so difficult on her?

 Making it up the last flight of stairs, Anna led herself out of the stairwell and into the hall.

Odd. Everything was quiet. She couldn't see anyone walking around.

Was Maksim up here by himself? After everything that Niklaus said, she expected Maksim to be in immediate peril. She envisioned him being revived by doctors or something. But nothing was going on. There was no activity.

Anna Began to walk down the long hallway. She assumed that the top floor was reserved for only the Alpha and his family. It seemed more private than the rest of the hospital.

"Luna! You can't be up here!" 

Anna turned to see two big men, warriors she assumed, coming toward her. On first instinct, she ran. She didn't come this far just to loose. She wanted to know what was going on with Maksim.

She was running past door after door. Her heart was beating in her ears. She could hear their feet kicking up down the hall and knew it wouldn't be long before they caught her. 

A glimse of a memory came to her. It was only for a second, but made her body ache with sadness. Anna realized that she had only ever ran like this once in her life. The day she ran from her grandfather's funeral. It seemed like a lifetime ago that he had passed. Finding Maksim and her pack distracted her from grief. Anna knew it could only distract her temporarily and that one day, the weight of his death would land on her shoulders. She knew she would break under its pressure.

But today would not be that day.

Anna ran, her lungs whining for air, until she felt it.

It was just a minor tug, pushing her towards the door across from her, but she knew who sat on the other side. It was so faint, but she could never forget the slight pull at her heart whenever she was near Maksim.

With everything else forgotten, Anna opened the door and looked inside.

___________________________________________________________________________________