Chapter 7: Mr. Fix-It

AnnaLee woke up with a start.

Where was she?

AnnaLee looked around the unfamiliar room. Memories of last night flooded through her mind.

She was sleeping at Nik's cottage, because the pack house was full.

AnnaLee still hadn't talked to her mother, who would surely be worried.

Seeing that is was ten in the morning, AnnaLee tip toed out of the spare bedroom to find Nik.

When she arrived at the entryway of the kitchen, she could hear a gruff voice singing an unfamiliar song in Russian.

AnnaLee took a peek at the beta.

Nik was in his underwear and a t-shirt. He had gotten up extra early to make the new Luna a "Welcome to the Pack" complementary breakfast. Nik always sang while he cooked. He couldn't help himself.

Nik was about to dive into verse two when he spun around only to see his Luna watching him with an amused smile on her face.

"Um, Anna. I'm making breakfast for you. You like peanut butter and jelly?"

"For breakfast?" AnnaLee giggled.

"Um... I don't usually cook anything el-"

"Nik, I'd love one." She said to reassure him.

"Ok. Good. What kind of jelly?"

"What kind do you have?"

Nik pointed to a cabinet telling her to open it.

AnnaLee laughed. Nik had quite the collection. Anna handed him a jar of strawberry jelly.

"Otlichnyy vybor, Luna." (Excellent choice, Luna- Russian)

"I stayed up thinking about some things. I have some questions that I hope you can answer. I need to call my mom as well."

"Here." Nik pulled a cell phone out of his back pocket. "You can't tell her the truth about where you are. Those wolves are still waiting at the border of the territory. She would be in danger."

After Anna nodded, Nik continued.

"I have something to discuss with you as well. But for now, call your mom. We can have our discussion over pb and j's."

AnnaLee gave him a smile before heading to the living room for privacy.

***

AnnaLee dialed her mother's number and on the second ring, Marilyn pick up.

"Oh, honey, where have you been? I've been concerned."

Marilyn didn't know where her daughter was, but thought it best to give her space. Guests at the funeral saw AnnaLee run off, so she knew not to alert the authorities.

"Yes, mother, I'm fine. I just had to get away. A friend came to get me. I'm in my dorm right now. I'm sorry I didn't say goodbye."

"It's ok. I know you needed time. I'm just glad you're ok. I'll mail your stuff to you."

"Thank you. I have to go, mom. I've got a class in ten minutes. Just call this number if you need anything. Ok?"

"Ok, dear. Your father and I love you."

"I love you, too. "

AnnaLee let out a sigh of relief. There was a lot she needed to understand but at least now she didn't have to worry about her mother.