Chapter 11: Confronted (part 1)

Anna sat in her room, snuggled up with the covers on her bed. She had just woken up and was using the time alone to think.

It had been a day since her encounter with Kender and Anna had yet to speak with Maksim.

Anna knew she had to talk with him soon. Cassandra would be executed tomorrow if she did not intervene.

However, she could never find the right time to bring it up.

Maksim was keeping his distance from her. She knew he was purposely ignoring her existence.

When he was around her, he was either in a bad mood, or didn't feel well.

In preparation for the discussion, Anna was reading about her role as a Luna, as well as the punishments for treason. She was learning quite a lot.

Anna was pulled from her thoughts by a knock at the door.

"Kommen." (Come in-German) Anna spoke.

Anna looked up and saw Maksim poke his head through the doorway.

"I'm going to the training compound. Do you want to come? Oli has been talking my ear off about meeting you properly." Maksim explained.

"Um... sure. Oli is the really big guy, right?" Anna asked nervously. She knew Oli meant her no harm, but he was frightening.

Only the kindness she saw in his eyes last time was able to calm her.

"Does he scare you?" Maksim asked.

"Yes." Anna spoke honestly.

"Anna, Oli is nothing to fear. You are his Luna. His first instinct is to protect you with everything he has. Besides, I wouldn't put you in harm's way."

"Okay. I'll trust you." Anna said. She felt like Maksim needed to hear that.

Maksim eyes widened. How could the girl put her trust in him so easily? It was only two nights ago that he wanted to forcefully mark her, and yesterday morning he was acting like a crazed wolf. Both times he had trouble holding his animalistic side at bay. Didn't she pick up on the danger there?

"Well, lets go then." Maksim spoke as he took her arm in his grasp, as to lead her through the house.

As they set out on their journey, a comfortable silence enveloped the two, both being lost in thought.

Maksim was confused as ever on his state of health.

Yesterday, while Anna was out, Maksim payed a visit to the pack doctor.

He tried to explain to Dr. Dreski what was going on. He told her about his head aches and how his wolf was beginning to become hard to control. Maksim even found himself confiding in the doctor about his concerns for Anna's safety.

In fact, she had been the reason he came to the doctor in the first place. Maksim was worried he would cause her serious harm, or, at the very least, force her into something she didn't want.

The doctor seemed confused by his symptoms and was unable to match them with any illness. Nevertheless, she had supplied him with a very strong supplement for his head aches. Being an alpha, a drug had to be strong for it to have any effect on his immune system.

Maksim was also given instructions to see him immediately if the strange behavior persists.

He expected to wake up this morning with another headache, but nothing had happened so far.

As the gym grew closer in view, AnnaLee's nerves kicked in. She knew she was being ridiculous. There was nothing to fear. Maks had assured her of that. She trusted him with all her heart, but still couldn't shake her uneasy feelings.