Chapter 38: When Vengeance Meets Kindness

Anna sat on Maksim's bed facing the wall, the same position she stayed in all night.

Nik had been the one to pry her away from Maksim's body. She fought him as best she could but it was no use. He successfully got her into his truck and drove her home. 

Other pack members came to 'clean up'.

Niklaus tried to take Anna home with him, but she wouldn't have it. 

She wanted to be with Maksim and the closest she could get right now was his room.

There was only one problem.

She smelled him everywhere.

And the pictures around his house.

How could she fall asleep knowing that this was all that was left of him?

A knock on the door drew her attention elsewhere.

"Come in." She whispered. There was no need to yell. Everyone here, besides her, was a shifter.  

Nik pushed his way into the room and sat down beside her.

He wore the same dead look in his eye. Apart from Anna, he was the one who was hurting the most.

Silence surrounded them for a long time before Niklaus spoke up.

"You know, even during the war, I never imagined Maksim not being okay." he whispered. "I always thought he was invincible..."

Suddenly, Nik's sobs filled the room.

"I'm so sorry, Anna." He cried, looking so broken that Anna teared up too. "If I would have found her before, he would still be here, but I let her slip through my fingers..."

Before he could say anything more, Anna engulfed him in a hug.

"This isn't your fault." She said, cradling Nik's head as she repeated Maksim's words to her.

Then, she felt his arms come around her, as he hugged her back, crying into her neck.

"I miss him." 

Anna smiled. "Me, too."

Once they both took time to collect themselves, Nik took a deep breath.

"I came here to tell you that we have Cassandra in a secure cell and the pack is demanding she be put to death. I can't say I disagree."

A swarm of emotions flooded Anna at Nik's statement, but not the emotions you might think.

"We can't kill her." 

Nik brows furrowed together as he took in what she was saying. "But she is responsible for your mates death."

"No." Anna corrected. "The timber wolves are. Cassandra was just a pawn in their game."

"She caused his death all the same." Nik disagreed.

"They threatened her mate's life. She had no choice."

"I can't believe what I'm hearing." Nik said, flabbergasted.

"Besides, She has a mate out there. If we kill her, what will become of him?"

When he didn't say anything, she gave her own answer.

"He will become like me and I don't want this for anyone."

Nik sighed. "You're too kind for this world, Anna."

She smiled at his statement. It was true. The world has shown her how cruel it can be.

"I want my last act as Luna to be used to save her life." Anna stated.

"Last act as Luna?" 

"You must know I can't stay here. I love you all, but last night was miserable. There is too much of him here." She explained.

The beta fixed her with a serious look. "When do you plan on leaving?"

"I'm not sure." Anna said, looking around the room. " Whenever my heart will let me."