Chapter 23: Pleasurable Destruction

Anna peeked inside. Her eyes had to adjust to the dimly lit room. 

She could see a figure sitting on the edge of a bed. Was it Maksim? 

Stepping in more, Anna had to contain a gag. There was a putrid odor wafting through the room. 

It smelled of decaying leaves and stomach acid. 

Fear swelled up in her chest. She wanted to call out for Maksim and demand that he hold her, at least for a little while, but she didnt. 

Anna knew that if she did gain his attention he would throw her out before she could see what was wrong.

Stepping closer to the figure, Anna could tell it was a man. Even though he was about Maksim's height, she knew it couldnt be him. 

This man had pasty skin, nothing like the golden honey that was poured over Maksim.

When she looked closer, Anna could make out each of the  man's vertebrae. He was deathly skinny. 

No this couldn't be Maksim. There was nothing to this man. He was a sickly pile of skin and bones.

Anna was going to leave, until she saw purple ink on the back of the man's neck. 

Moving closer, she noticed how his skin was almost translucent. The man's bloodvessels swam beneath his skin as something dark ran through them. 

Anna could only describe it as death itself. 

Looking back at the purple ink, Anna took in the small symbol.

Why did it seem so familiar to her?

Then it clicked. 

This wasnt just a tattoo. She learned about it in one of her culture classes in college. 

This was a symbol put on a mythical creature marked for death.

At the realization, Anna let out a startled gasp.

Before she could run for the door, the man turned around.

Fire lit up in those amber eye. The only pair of amber eyes she had ever known.

"Maks?" Anna asked, tears swelling up in her eyes. Why was he so unhealthy? He was fine last night. How could he have withered away in such a short amount of time?

"Anna, you need to leave."

"But Maks, that mark. I-I know what it means."

"Leave, NOW!"

"What? No! I just got here and i want to-"