Chapter 17: Out for Blood

"Nik, will he be ok?"

The worry in her voice was trying to force him awake, as if she had complete control over his unconscious form.

Maksim wanted to open his eyes badly, just to check on her well-being, if only for a moment.

"Yeah. He's tough, Anna... You know, he's been through plenty worse. He can handle a few stitches." Niklaus said, trying to comfort his Luna.

Maksim relaxed, knowing his beta would watch her, but he still needed to see her for himself. The last thing he remembered was that he had completely lost control and blacked out. What if he attacked her?

"That doesn't make me feel any better. I just... I don't... He won't let me in, Nik. I've tried so hard. It just seems like every time he is about to let me in, he thinks better of it and backs up to the starting line... All I want to do is protect him."

Nik chuckled. "Sweetheart, he is supposed to be the one protecting you."

"I just want us to protect each other." AnnaLee mumbled.

"Have you told him that?" Nik inquired.

"No."

Suddenly, Nik could feel his bond with the alpha becoming stronger. Looking over, he could see Maksim's hand twitch.

"Uh, Anna, Why don't you go get Maksim a bottle of water for when he wakes up."

"But-"

"I know he would appreciate it." Nik said, hoping she would take the bait.

"You think so?" Anna asked, as she thought about gaining favor with the alpha.

"Absolyutno." (absolutely-russian)

Anna nodded before scooting out the door, in search of water.

"Is she gone?"

The alpha's voice rang through the air.

"Yeah." Nik answered.

"What happened? I didn't attack her-?" He asked, as he looked around to see he was in his bedroom.

"No, No. I'm the one you came for... What's going on with you, Maksim? You keep loosing control. Anna told me about the other times this has happened. That's not like you, brother." Nik asked, concerned.

"I'm fine." Maksim said shrugging it off, even though, deep down, he knew there was something strange going on inside him.