Chapter 19: True Colors

Thank you to PageScribbles for the amazing book cover! Go follow! You can send covers or fan art to writinginconsequence@gmail.com !

____________________________________________________________________________________

Chapter 19: True Colors

Anna sniffled into his shirt one last time.

She was beyond embarrassed.

She was supposed to be Luna of the pack, yet she couldn't stop herself from crumbling. She just felt so broken and used.

"Uspokoysya , moy Luna. Vse budet v poryadke , tak chto vy mozhete udelit' mne eti krokodilovy slezy , da ?" (Calm down, my luna. Everything is going to be okay, so you can spare me those crocodile tears, yes?- Russian) Nik spoke, as he rubbed circles in Anna's back.

It broke his heart to see her this way. The beta knew that his alpha was responsible for his luna's pain. He didn't know the details, but he didn't have to. Maksim had never treated anyone as horribly as he treated Anna, and it confused Niklaus to no end.

The only thing he could think to do was take her back to his cabin and hope her pain subsided. However, as soon as she entered the house, a flood gate of tears and sadness consumed her.

Anna wasn't hard to comfort. All Niklaus had to do was put his arm around her shoulders and she felt the safest she had since her grandpa died. Why couldn't Nik be her mate? He has shown her more affection than Maksim ever has and probably ever will. 

Looking up at the beta, Anna realized just how beautiful he was. His blonde hair was messy today, but it seemed to work in his favor. His eyes were a lovely green color. Unlike her's, Nik's eyes were such a light shade of green that they almost appeared translucent. This close up, she could see the stubble growing on his face. She knew that if he leaned down anymore, it would surely scratch her forehead.

Nik felt her yes on him, so he peered down at her in question. "What is it, Anna?"

Anna smiled at his question. He was so in tune with every action she made, every thought she felt. It would've been a treat to be Niklaus' mate, but he couldn't make her feel like Maks could, even if he treated her a thousand times better.

"I was just thinking that you are gonna be a great mate to someone." She answered with a shy smile.

Upon hearing her words, Niklaus squeezed her shoulder. He hoped to find his mate soon.  He wanted someone to love and care for. That was part of why he was so angry at Maksim. He finally was able to find his mate. Anna would be the best thing to happen to him, but he won't accept her.

"Yeah, Yeah. That's what all the shewolves tell m-"

Suddenly, the sound of alarms filled the air. Anna cupped her hands over her ears to muffle out the loud sound. She looked to Nik for answers, but he seemed to be in his own world. He was staring straight ahead and his eyes were glazed over. 

"Nik?"

No answer.

"Nik, are you ok?"

When Anna couldn't get a response, she put her hand on his shoulder. 

Niklaus jumped up and looked at Anna with a blank expression. She had seen this before, Nik was no longer her friend. He was now the beta.

"Nik, what's going on?"

Nik knew what was happening, but he didn't want to tell her. Instead, he grabbed the hem of his shirt and pulled it over his head.

"Nik?" Anna tried again, frightened.

"These sirens warn the pack of a raid." Nik answered. 

Anna's mind went racing. The pack was being targeted? Was it the timber wolves? She thought they had left. Were they back for her? How could she help protect her pack?

"Who's attacking the pack?" Anna asked, gaining no answer. 

Nik acted as if he didn't hear her. He didn't want her to know the truth. If she did, it would only make matters worse.

He grabbed the hem of her shirt and tried to pull it over her head, but Anna's hands shot up to stop him.

"What are you doing?" She asked, bewildered, as her cheeks turned red.

"I'm putting my shirt on you to cover up your scent. It's a safety measure. I don't have time to argue with you, so hurry up and let me." Nik said, hoping she would stop fighting him.

"I'm not letting you do anything until you tell me what's going on and why you need to cover my scent." Anna stated defiantly. After all, she was his luna.

"Anna-"

"Tell me!" Anna screamed. She was tired of being treated like a child when she was the one with the most authority.

"It's Maksim... Maksim is the one attacking the pack and we think he is coming for you."

_______________________________________________________________________