Chapter 33: I've Seen A Ghost

Chapter 33: I've Seen a Ghost

Maksim pulled the covers up around his chin, as he drifted between a world of dreams, all of which had been about Anna.

Last night was amazing and he was glad Anna had the courage to put the whole thing together, something he would have never done.

She held a boldness he would never be able to achieve and the Alpha admired her for it everyday. She was what held him together. 

Although he weighed more than a scale could count, Maksim felt as light as a feather. 

He truly was floating on cloud nine. 

All because of Anna.

When he went to reach for the little vixen, Maks realized the spot beside him was empty.

Sitting up, his eyes wandered around the room until they spotted a small figure sitting on the floor opposite the bed.

Anna had her knees pulled to her chest as she stared at him, tears silently flowing down her face. 

"Anna?" 

In his frenzy to get up, Maksim hadn't realized how tangled he was in the sheets.

His body came crashing down on the hard floor with a thud.

"Are you okay?" Anna whispered. If there was a trait her mate lacked, it was grace.

"Don't worry about me," Maksim said as he picked himself up and scooted close to her. "Why are you crying? What did I do?"

Anna looked at him with surprise in her eyes. He thought she was crying because he did something wrong? It couldn't have been further from the truth.

His inquires brought more tears to her eyes, as she grabbed his shoulders and pulled him to her in a close hug. She didn't want to let go. Not after what she saw.

"How could you think you did something wrong? You've been perfect." 

Maksim couldn't do anything but hug her tighter. She was crying harder now as she sobbed into his neck. 

"Let's face it. Every time you cry, it's because of me." It was true and he knew it, but the slight pinch Anna gave his side told him she didn't agree.

"That's not true." She muttered on his skin, to which he rolled his eyes.

"Yes it is." He said, as he untangled her from himself, just enough to look at her face. "Now, tell me why I found you so upset and sitting on the floor."

"I-I-"

"Hey." Maksim whispered as he lowered his head to look into her teary eyes. "Just calm down and talk to me, yeah?" to which Anna nodded vigorously.

"Last night, I saw..."

"You saw what, Anna? Tell me."

"I saw the mark of death. You still have it."

At her declaration, Maksim's eyebrows furrowed and he seemed lost in thought.

He was looking at her, but not truly.

Coming back down to earth, Maks grabbed her hand and put it on his chest.

"Show me where it is." He ordered, dropping his hand from hers.

"Turn around." 

At her words, the alpha did as he was told.

Anna took a deep breathe before letting her hand wander to his lower back, keeping her eyes glued to the back of his head. She couldn't bare to see it again.

After she poked around, and felt nothing, Anna let her eyes drop.

"It's not there." She whispered, tears swelling up in her eyes again. What was going on?

Maksim turned around quickly at her words. "What do you mean?"

"It's gone." She admitted shaking her head from side to side. "I promise you, I saw it last night. I wouldn't lie about something like that. I swear, it was there!"

"Hey, come here." 

The Luna obeyed his orders as she scooter further into his embrace, causing both of them to sigh in contentment.

"I know you wouldn't lie about something like that." Maksim whispered in her ear, sure he knew what was going on. "You've been through a lot Anna. I've put you through a lot, but do you want to know what I think?"

When he felt her head move up and down, he smiled.

"I think you haven't truly dealt with anything that's happened. Your grandfather died, then you come here and deal with me. Have you even had a chance to grieve him? Your grandfather, I mean." Maks continued, already knowing the answer. "You skipped from one part of your life to the next without taking a moment to breathe."

Anna thought about how true his theory really was. As soon as her grandpa passed away, she was thrown into this world and wasn't able to deal with the loss. Then, she thought she was going to loose Maksim.

It was a never ending cycle.

"Besides," Maks continued, trying to make her feel better. "It was dark last night and you were tired. It was a dream."

"Or a nightmare..." Anna muttered.

"Are you okay, now?"

"I think so."

"Good. Now, go take a shower while I get us some breakfast. It will make you feel better." 

Getting up, Anna headed to the bathroom. He was right. What she needed was a good shower and some food.

Last night, she made herself see something that wasn't there. She was so scared of loosing Maksim that her mind started playing tricks on her. 

"Oh, and Anna?" she heard him call from behind.

"Yes?"

"You don't have to worry about me leaving you, by death or choice. I'm not going anywhere anytime soon."

With a smile on her face, Anna quickly made her way to him, giving him a peck on the cheek, before scurrying off to the bathroom.

The sound of the door shutting brought Maksim out of his love struck stupor. How could one little kiss make his mind melt?

The Alpha knew his mate had a lot of work to do on herself, as did he. He was ready to help her through it in anyway he could.

Before he could get too lost in thought, Niklaus came bursting through the bedroom door.

"Maksim, there's someth- Wait, why are you naked and sitting on the floor, criss-cross-applesauce?"

"What do you want, Niklaus?"

Straightening out his posture, Nik lost the playfulness in his tone.

He was now Beta of the pack.

"There's a situation..."