39.One Memorable Birthday

Clary pov

Usually I hated early mornings, the dominion of the birds and the time daylight unwrapped the hues of the Earth. Although the sound brought calmness to mind, a melody that would have you drift with tranquility, my mind was running hectic.

Today was our parabatai ceremony, mine and Izzy's but most of all May 15th was Izzy's birthday which I had been told about last minute. Figuring out a group present had been effortless but individually, when told last minute had been difficult.

I rushed towards the painting I needed finishing today, a simple present but I believed it to be thoughtful when it would mean something to her. It was bold with precise lines, much like a mosaic. Curves and sharp defines were within it. It was far from being chaotic due to the composition and cool tone colours.

It was of new york based on the solitery photograph placed on her nightstand which I had taken yesterday without her knowledge. It wasn't in usual bright oils but dark - blue in colour from the rain flowing down. The main subject being what caught the eye most, a red umbrella as if completely separate from the rest of the world. That same umbrella sheltered a couple who I had drawn to be Izzy and Simon without ever drawing their faces.

With a last flick of the paint brush, I left it to dry while I hurried to the kitchen to cook up a breakfast - special for the birthday girl.

************************************
"Jace get up!" I screamed so he could help me deliver the breakfast to her room.

"How mean do you have to be to wake me up like that?" He replied, rolling out to get dressed.

"Very. At least I didn't pore ice water over you or kick you out literally."

"You're insane you know that," He laughed taking a peak at my attire, specially formal for Izzy." Is this what you need help with?" Jace pointed at the tray settled on the bed.

"Yes,"A sense of pride washed over me. The tray consisted of a fruit bowl, a couple of  chocolate croissant still fresh from the oven and French toast with whipped cream and berries at the side.

"She will love it. You have out-done yourself this time," He kissed my cheek and we went to deliver her breakfast.

I knocked on the door a few times and shouted her name, leading to her inviting us in.

"Mm what's that aroma of baked goods?" I could tells Izzy's mouth was watering.

"Happy birthday Iz, I cooked you up some breakfast in bed and later you and Simon can come and join us," Both me and Jace gave her a peck on the cheek and embraced her.

"We have our parabatai ceremony later," Izzy reminded me.

"Midday to be precise but first we will give you your presents and then we can get ready together," She nodded just before we exited.

After around 15 minutes we saw Izzy approaching with a smile extending to her eyes. "Since you decided to have your parabatai ceremony today, we have decided to merge the after party and birthday party as one," Alec informed her.

Magnus was first to give her his gift consisting of a pair of heels - quite sparkly and up to both his and Izzy's taste so she very much, it seemed she enjoyed looking at them a lot. Feminine and exerting confidence at the same time, a dark blue feeding into indigo like the night sky was a good choice for high heels. On it were crystals that radiated and gave it a magical twist, they seemed to imitate the stars within the sky.

"I thought my gift from you and Magnus was to agree to a double wedding."

"Which we did after so much convincing," Magnus glanced at Alec who wasn't all that happy about it but agreed because Magnus and Izzy had been ecstatic about the idea. "Once I saw these in a boutique in Dubai when Alec and I were on a date, I had to buy them."