33.Sink In The Depth

Third person

Maybe it was out of nervousness. All the chemicals in the body flooding sending her in a vortex of worried thoughts that she dreaded. Exhaustion didn't stop Clary from pacing as she picked book after book in the never-ending rows of the library.

She felts like her own fingers were covered in ink from the pages that she flicked. Dust collected around her and it was when the the heavy door swung with a creak that she gazed up from the books.

"I thought you could use a hand in whatever you are doing." Alec approached Clary with, not timid but certainly slow steps.

"If only I knew what I was doing." Only the faint sound of brittle pages turning in fast motions could be heard while Alec figured what to say.
"Tracking Jonathan is impossible. I pick up book after book out of the piles of tarnished ones that has anything to do with Lilith, the Morning Star sword or even the simplicity of a mixed blooded creatures such as my brother and all it has done is lead me to wasted time and zero gained knowledge of the severe problem we remain in. " Clary sounded breathless after the rant.

"What do we know so far?"

"Jonathan is almost as strong if not stronger than Lilith because her blood courses through his veins. The sword though it needs all the angelic power it can access, can cut through demonic dimensions and bring out the worst of creatures." Clary explained with preturbance wavering her voice.

"If that's the case then for now we are out of trouble because only so much angelic power can be accessed through his angelic power rune, not to mention that his demonic blood should prevent that from happening." Alec attempted to ease her morbid thoughts.

"That would have been true if the angelic core of the institute's was not one of the biggest sources that would most definitely have enough power to activate the sword." Her heels and hands shaked and she felt the pulse pound in her temples, if she was stood up she would probably have fallen. Though Alec couldn't see that, he probably saw the the twitch of her muscle or the grimace she pulled a second ago.

In response Alec cursed under his breath and it was the first time Clary had ever heard him say anything of that sort. Clary knew that he too was distressed in every shape and form by the way his arms folded tightly across his broad chest and the way he consistently tapped his foot. "So how exactly will those books help you?"

"I need something that I can track him with and the books are usually a good place to hit when needing something, the problem is that now I have nothing." At the speed she was flicking through the pages, Alec wondered how she had zero papercuts from the jagged pages covered in tea stains. Surely, even the hard leather would have grazed her hand if she spent all this time going through them one by one. For a second he wondered if she was going to throw the book across the room because Alec could swear he saw steam coming from Clary.

She took deep breath to calm the anger boiled up in her and stood abruptly up to wander aimlessly around the library. "I will never be able locate him."

"Even if you did then what?"

Clary snapped again. It was never aimed at Alec, more at Jonathan but if looks could kill this would be the one. "I don't know, gather an army and kill him or better yet go after him myself!"

"There is no need for you to sacrifice yourself Clary, this is a war that will involve everybody that can be involved." Alec came to Clary and hugged her. At first she was surprised but then leaned in. "We can't lose you again."

As if on que Jace entered the library with a broad smile seeing them both  hug. "Am I interrupting something?"

"No, we are trying to track down Jonathan, " Clary answered. It finally dawned on her that there was no actual way for them to track him. "He is in a dimension of hell, that is why we cannot track him. In my dreams he was in Edom but who knows where he is now."

************************************
In truth, Jonathan hated hell with every fibre in his body. It wasn't because of what lurked around but more to do with the fact that Lilith had brought him on the edge every time she burned him, she had tortured him so he knew that that was what his only capability was.

Now he watched a young shadowhunter girl gulp down the serum that would eventually make her loyal to him. It burned her throat each drop more toxic than the last. Even a Saint would turn into a demonic predator after the serum had its affect. The vial was half empty as the the girl started squirming in agony.

Mercilessly he left her, not being bothered one bit by her screams. He closed the tall metal doors and continued smirking at her pained cries.