36.Bring Your Swords High

Third person

The sky seemed to know it was a day of gloom just by the way it blanketed Idris; it hung down like malevolent angels. Bitter in every possible day. It was the first time Idris had experienced such a dull day instead of a sea of blue animated with clouds.

"You have changed, " A voice sounded from behind Clary.

There wasn't a need for Clary to turn around to recognise who it was; the sweetness of her voice with a tinge of a British accent immediately gave it away.

"Don't get me wrong, it's for the better, " Tessa sat beside Clary, near the statue of Angel Square. "You found love where you least expected it - a family too. You're not anymore the lost girl."

"You helped with that Tess, you are also part of my family so promise me that you will return from the battle safely."

"It's not something I can promise for definite but I will do my best not to leave you, Jem or Magnus."

"Is Jem... I mean brother Zachariah fighting?"

"We both are which you already knew. You can call him Jem now, by his true name because he is no longer a silent brother," Tessa had surprised Clary with that information.

"How and since when?"

"Yesterday Magnus and I went to the city of bones with a cure for Jem. We had spent over a century looking for one and we finally found one here in a book in Malachai's mini library, so we stole it and now Jem Carstairs is no longer a silent brother," She explained the shortened version of the story.

"Is that why you're here in Alicante?" Clary asked with a huge grin, being exceptionally smug about it.

" Yes it was originally but I will stay till the very end after all I am part shadowhunter. All will be well Clary." Tessa finally said and embraced her.

" I hope so because it begins soon."

************************************
Incessantly Izzy and Clary counted together. Five. Four. Three. Two. One. Dust swirled turning the sky more graphite in colour. Birds were silenced and then out of nowhere an explosion seared the air creating a terrible echo that could make all life cry out in anguish if they were near it.

A mass of flame coated the sky with an abhorrent orange. The demon tower's brightness faded into a dim light.

"Is it too late for you and Izzy to reconsider going back to the manors along with the other children?" Jace asked with apprehension present in his voice, looking faithfully towards both.

"Izzy and I may be under aged but this is my brother and my war to fight; I have more responsibility in it than any of you do so I will not back off. I trust Emma and Julian to take good care of the kids and the rest is up to us."

"I won't either, " Izzy replied, transforming her snake bracelet into a staff.

Everyone looked like the blood running through their veins was on fire, and adrenaline seemed to be what had replaced the actual blood as they all watched nightmare after nightmare crawl through the portal connecting to hell.

"Jonathan's army of mindless soldiers is here, " Alec said bitterly and charged into battle already aiming an arrow at someone. A clear shot was made into the chest leaving only a body falling to the ground.

They all charged fighting demons or mind controlled shadowhunters who were unknowingly loyal to Jonathan.

Whispers of angelic names were heard amongst the discord of shouts. Blades illumed and peirced both flesh and ichor of the demons. Sparks of magic flew to the skies and from the gusts of wind Alec could tells vampires used their speed to attack. The occasional howling of werewolves were overheard as they attacked too. Though there were not as many downworlders, the few made a great difference.