17.Across the Bridge

Izzy pov

OK, so I was panic-stricken. I haven't seen Jace and Clary all night; it seemed like they disappeared into thin air.

Simon and I have been running around like wild cats all night trying to hunt them down but no trace of them whatsoever was found.

Not even after the clave retrieved some escaped shadowhunter back to the city of bones, was there a clue as to where they were.

I came rushing towards Magnus and Alec, Simon following behind, to where they were waltzing elegantly across the marble floor of the Manor.

"Alec!" He turned abruptly towards me, confusion and uncertainty showing in his ocean blue eyes. "Magnus!" I sounded breathless and came close to having a panic attack but after a couple of minutes I regained my composture.

They stared at me both with curiosity.
"Iz what's up?" Alec asked his brows furrowed and arms crossed while Magnus's expression turned into one of distress.

"Have either of you seen Clary or Jace? I have been looking for them all night along with Simon and it looks as if they dissipated into thin air. I even tried tracking them but their deflect runes must have been activated. I am just worried about them."

Alec frowned, probably contemplating on what we should do while Magnus stayed silent until he, in a sudden move turned and swayed his hands to create what seemed to be a portal.

" We are going back to the loft to find a better way to track them. "

We all nodded in unison and tailed Magnus through the portal.

Clary pov

I cautiously stepped on the stone floor, well more like trudged through the vast structure of the Charles Bridge.

It was a dream of mine ever since I saw the drawing of Prague in my mums sketch book. It almost seemed unreal. As of that moment I was mesmerised by the alluring view.

Gently, I ran my fingers through the cold stone, trying to take in the beauty of the place. My face was lightened with a broad grin and it seemed like I was a kid who woke up on a Christmas morning to find the most wonderful present. That's what being in Prague was to me.

As cliché as it sounds, I spun around in circles because for once I felt free of the burdens and free of the life that inflicted each time something worse.

"Stop. Clary stop." I knew exactly who that was but not even for a second did I dare to look at him.

I swallowed up the anger that wanted to boil in the pit of my stomach. Now I wish I had something to drink it down with since it was like acid burning up inside of me. I couldn't take it out on my most trusted person, Jace. I couldn't be like Valentine.

"Clary!" He exclaimed not out of annoyance but to make an impression for me to turn around.

"What Jace? What do you want me to say?" I asked rhetorically and in slow steps turned to face him without directly looking into his golden eyes which were probably darker for some unexplainable reason. "Do you want me to say ' I'm sorry' because I am?" It sounded like I was winded from all the panting in between my sentences.

Jace looked hurt for a second but his expression turned into one that was unreadable, after he caught the regret in my voice. "I want you to stop. Running away, that won't help you."

"Running away is what has kept me alive."

"No, fighting for what you believe has kept you alive." He beseeched.

"Maybe so but consequences came along with it."

"So you are just going to keep running?"

"No because I would rather die on an adventure or in the most noble way possible but in order to protect you and the others yes." I tilted my head to the side looking over at the river and the lightened streets.

"Then why do you keep moving away from me?" Jace uttered in a yell that wasn't angry.

"Because what you are doing is a dangerous game. I am at my best when I am on my own, away from harming everyone."

"I won't let you go." His tenacity was so pure that even I hesitated into believing him for a second.

"Then I will keep shooting from place to place." I was unreadable but even I couldn't completely find truth in my words.

"In that case I'd burn the whole world until I could dig you out of the ashes."
The serenity of his voice had implied the certainty of it too. "You need to stop fantasising about running away to some other life and start figuring out this one."

"Why?" My voice appeared desperate. "I am not someone who can look up at the starry sky and wish under the falling stars. What do I have?"

"You have me." That simple statement would have the affect of melting hearts but for a heart as hidden as mine it didn't do such a thing. "Do you remember when you asked me what I feared most?" I nodded slightly recalling our first night walk and then I heard a sigh escape from him. "Just the idea of you walking away again, vanishing from my life, that's what terrifies me most of all."

He glided across the even stone of the tremendous Charles Bridge.

Before I could register what was going on or even gasp, Jace's lips crashed against mine. Amazed by his action I stayed frozen for a second and then kissed back.

He tasted like the rising sun and exquisite dreams with a touch of spice. The world around us was gone and it was just him and I, our lips moving in synchronisation full of passion.