23.Watch Where You Aim

Third person~~~~2 weeks later~~~~~

Multiple times he watch were exhaust herself to the point she couldn't move anymore. He had noticed so many times that she had used the stamina rune over and over again just so she could function and that bothered him.

Every day he would stand to watch her train endlessly. He stood helpless because he knew that she would not rest.

Now he was leaning against the door of the training room, doing what he always did, watch her.

"You know you can come in. I don't bite." Clary said not even turning to see that it was indeed Jace that stood there.

He slowly strode towards as if he was overanalying her words. "Rest." Jace commanded. "For 2 weeks you haven't slept or if you have it would be a ridiculously small amount. You are human too." This time he used a more pleading voice. "You haven't even painted in such a long time. All you do is train and for what?"

"I can't sleep. It's strange really."

"What is?" Jace was a tad vexed by her vagueness.

"It's strange how you can be living your dreams and your nightmares at the same time." It was the truth for her. For the two weeks since her recovery she felt worse. Her sleep  had not been peaceful enough: she travelled alone every night through the haunted places. In all those dreams she heard the haunted laugh, his laugh.

Jonathan's merciless, maniacal laugh that made her toes curl and goose bumps scatter across her skin.

In the worst of cases she would see herself or him as the monsters murdering or torturing her loved ones. Jace was common in those dreams and each moment he was near her, Clary had the urge to run. She couldn't cause him harm.

Now she didn't know whether she was in reality because dreamers left their monsters behind and she could not.

"I will stay with you because I can't watch you be on constant auto-pilot while you physically give in." She turned suddenly to him once he held her hand trying to pull her to the room in the institute since they were still not ready to return to the academy.

She resisted a little until he picked her up and carried her the way to her room. He layed her gently onto the covers and rubbed her back as she fell asleep in his arms without having to face the gateway to hell.

************************************
Jace pov

I carefully rolled onto my side and looked at her. Clary had softer features and all her harsh lines that usually created her beautifully formed features were gone which made her seem more youthful than her actual age. Vulnerable was not the word to describe her because Clary never looked vulnerable but she was peaceful. I had never seen her so tranquil and I would be lying if I said I did not like seeing her this way.

My arm was still around her small figure. Pulling the blanket up to her shoulder, I wanted nothing more curl to the curve of her body.

Instead I listened to her shallow breathes and the according thumps of her heart. Clary's chest rose every time she took a breath and not hearing her nightly screams like I did every night warmed my heart. To know that she did not have her repeating nightmares was the thing I wished most.

The door of her room was slightly ajar and Izzy peaked through not realising Clary was asleep.

She seemed astounded by my presence but she smiled as if she enjoyed seeing me in Clary's room.

Just then Clary stirred and I watched as her emerald eyes opened up. "Hey. What is up Iz?" She said in a sleepy voice.

"Oh. I just wanted to ask if you wanted to train with Alec and myself since we haven't had any missions in a while. I didn't realise you had guests but you can join us too Jace." Izzy winked at me and left without saying anything else.