2

I closed my laptop for the day. I was absolutely exhausted after all my studies. College was definitely harder than I thought. I used to be really good in school, I loved reading and writing and I had some music classes which I really enjoyed. But when my mother died I found it hard to even imagine going to school. They let me do my school work from home and for three years I have been doing everything from home, and only been going to school for tests and such.

Sometimes I wish that they wouldn't have let me do that. I have been sitting home a lot for the past years. I lost most of my friends from it and it's definitely easier to learn with a teacher present.

But since my mum died, my dad has been very careful with me. Even suggesting going back to school would give an answer like "but are you sure you're ready, you shouldn't pressure yourself" or "I really don't think that's a good idea, don't you think that it will be stressful?"

When college rolled around I saw it as a great opportunity to go back, but dad wanted a doctors approval, which we didn't get.

They all say that it could bring back what I worked so hard to get rid off if i exposed myself to so many new things at once. I really don't think my dad will even let me move out to be honest. I'm 18 and I'm still very much treated like a child. I would very much dislike being kept at home when it's time for University in the fall. 

I hear the keys jingle outside the door before the door being unlocked. The keys being placed on the table, shoes being kicked off and a jacket being hanged on a hanger. The heavy steps gets closer and I see my dad appear in the door frame.

"Hey pumpkin! how was your day?" He says placing one of the heavy grocery bags on the table in front of me before carrying the other one over to the counter. I furrow my brows a bit at the nickname. He starts packing away the groceries as I stand up to help him with the other bag.

"I got you some muffins in there too, blueberry is your favorite right?" He says from where he is standing over by the fridge. What? uhm, ok.

"Yeah they were, when I was seven" I say with a little chuckle. He looks out from behind the fridge door.

"Oh.. do you have a new favorite?" he says. I felt kinda bad for saying that. I shake my head with a smile.

"No, I suppose i just haven't eaten them in a while" I say with a smile. He smiles back and continues with the unpacking. I take a pack of pasta and put them in the cabinet over the fridge. I had to stand on my toes to reach so dad took them from me to put them up.

I walk over to the table again to put the milk in the fridge. I look back at the muffins again.

"Dad?" I ask. He looks over to me with a questioning look waiting for me to continue my question.

"Is something wrong?" I ask him. He just looks at me for a quick second before looking back at the groceries to keep putting them away again.

"No why would it?" he says. Does he really think I'm that stupid? come on.

"Oh, yeah, but you randomly decided to buy me muffins and you called me pumpkin when you came home." I start putting the milk down. "You haven't called me pumpkin since when? 8th grade?"

He places the last apple in the fruit bowl and throws the paper bag in the bin. He then leans his left shoulder against the fridge. He looks back at me with his dark brown eyes. I tried to read his expression but I think he was just trying to find what to say.

He walks over to the table and sits down. He looks at me standing next to the table.

"Avery, sit down will ya?" He says with a serious tone. Who died?