56

The night after Louis got shot I couldn't sleep. I was worried out of my mind that anything would happen to him while I wasn't there. What if he wasn't in the clear? what if the bleeding started again? what if he gets an infection? I laid in bed, unable to fall asleep, looking up at the ceiling waiting for anyone to call to give me an update on him.

He's probably sleeping, so they wouldn't even know if he died in his sleep. Even though he was stable when I left, he had been in a very fatal situation. Who knows if he starts to crash when we don't have anything to show us how he's doing, how his heart is beating and so on.

As soon as the sun came back up to rub it in my face that I hadn't slept, I got out of bed again. My bloody clothes from yesterday were thrown on the floor. I put on my black Adidas sweatpants along with a white t-shirt while leaving my hair in the braid from yesterday. I swallowed the lump in my throat along with the little piece of pride I had left. I have to make sure he's okay to get some peace in my mind.

It was only six in the morning, but I ignored it and put my shoes on, taking the first aid kit with me as I walked out the door. When opening the door I was met buy a big guy I hadn't seen before. None of the guys from before were there, I guess they have different shifts. He turned his head to me when I walked out.

"I'm going to check on Louis." I say, before he stops me. He nodded quickly before going back to minding his own business, so I walked away from him.

It was quiet and I tried to walk quietly down the red rugs covering the floor. It was usually quiet in the halls but now it felt deafening. The only sound was my shoes hitting the floor with every step I was taking closer to Louis's room. Hopefully one of the boys will be there like I told them to.

When standing outside of his door I felt my courage crumble. It was quiet inside the room, and I stood outside, looking at the white wooden barrier with the golden number on it. Maybe I shouldn't be here. I should be sleeping in my room, they probably have the situation under control by now.

I got all the way here, I shouldn't even be contemplating being here. Harry even asked me to stay, so if I came back he wouldn't judge me for it. If he is the one here he would probably let me in without a doubt. I don't think Niall or Liam would send me away either, but maybe they would question me being here at this hour.

Taking a deep breath, I ignore the feeling of wanting to run back to my room, and I knock three times on the door. I did it quietly to make sure that I wouldn't wake up in case he was still sleeping. A few moments went by before I heard something move inside. I clutched the handle of the first aid kit in my hands until the door opened. Liam looked out at me with his brown eyes, a bit of sleep in them

"Avery, hi." He says quietly, "What are you doing here? It's like 6 AM."

"I know," I nod, "He just needs to change his bandage pretty often when it's this fresh." I say, looking back down to the little red bag in my hands. He looks at it too before stepping aside to let me in the room. Louis is laying on the bed, he's moved since I left. He had turned over a little on his good shoulder and was sleeping peacefully.

"You haven't slept a bit, have you?" Liam asks as I put the first aid kit on the table, starting to prepare the bandage that probably doesn't even need a change. I'm just too much of a coward to admit to Liam why I'm really here. I turn my head to look at him, he leans against the wall next to the bed with his arms crossed over his chest.

"No," I shake my head, turning back to the stuff in front of me, "I think it's the nerves, I just couldn't shake them off after all of that." I continue, finishing off the new bandage and walking over to Louis's side of the bed, grabbing a chair so I can sit. I put the bandage on the chair while I take the jug from before into the bathroom to fill it up with some warm water.