06 - Scars like mistakes

♡♡♡

"Are my mistakes worth the toll that it takes
I can see it written on your face
You've seen me make every mask I create"

Shifting nervously in his seat, Taehyung feels a growing pain in his stomach. He peers over at the woman sitting across him on the small table, then to the child whose eyes are everywhere but the two adults with her.

His mind couldn't process the situation. Thoughts lingering in him are slowly becoming much of a bother, and he wonders if it isn't just him who feels that way.

Kang Seulgi is back, he bites his lip, shutting his eyes before opening them again.

No words were said until Jiyeon scrambles to her feet, she grips on her bag as she stares at him straight. He gulps, worriedly looking at her as she pushes the chair back.

"I need to go home, I'm tired," she mutters, she is fighting something in her and she just couldn't wait and leave so no one has to see.

Seulgi tilts her head and gazes up at her daughter, reaching to hold her wrist but she's already stepping away.

"Why come now? You had like what, four years? Three?" she grits, refusing to meet her eyes. Taehyung watches in shock.

Seulgi stands up, dropping her purse on the floor as she does, and grasps around both of her arms making the child face her.

She leans closer, running her fingers through Jiyeon's hair, "I-I'm sorry," she whispers.

Jiyeon shakes her head, not wanting her mother to touch her, "Sorry?" she smirks, eyes watering but she gulps it down before it starts to fall.

As if this day couldn't get any better, the girl thought.

Taehyung fidgets for a second, before calling out for the girl. "Jiyeon-ah," he says softly.

Seulgi then pulls away from her, as she helplessly glances over at him. She steps back, about to take her purse but he stops her.

"Don't," he snaps, "Don't make it worse. You-you have to give her space, some time to think this through don't you think? She hasn't seen you for years, Seulgi. You didn't even bother to give her a call, nothing. She's just—confused about all this."

Seulgi feels her body trembling, unable to look up as she stares down on the floor. She just wanted to see her child, to make up for all the years she had no courage to make that dreaded call, to try again yet the reality is sinking in and she couldn't breathe.

She boarded the plane with all the courage she was able to gather, she didn't want to tell Jimin because if she did, he probably would've said no. Not because he didn't want to, but because Seulgi had to make sure she's okay; that she's ready to become a mother to their child.

Yet again, the woman failed miserably. She left wanting to start over a new life, accepting the fact that she's no longer responsible for her child. The only thing she was granted was a day to be with her if she liked, but it had to be on Jimin's conditions.

She needed to get it together, to go into therapy until the doctor says she's recovered, but instead she chose to run away and waste the chance she was given.

But she's trying, at her own pace; and there's this glimmer of hope in her that maybe Jiyeon would understand her pain like how she wished her own parents did, but it never happened.

She fought her best not to break down in tears as she saw her daughter, all grown up but still as cute as she has always been. And she wanted to wrap her in an embrace, give her warmth like she used to but looking at it now she's coming into terms that she may be is a little too late.