04 - The past lingers

♡♡♡

"What a heavenly way to die,

What a time to be alive

Because forever is in your eyes"

Clutching onto her stomach, while struggling to stand still under a heavy downpour miles away from home, Jeongyeon gazes at the midnight sea.

It's cold, dark, and the her knees wobble as if she's been in the same position for hours. She slides down her fingers on her long black lacy dress, pulling it up so it doesn't soak right when the waves hit the shore.

Her mind goes back to the night she found out about Jiyeon, and everything that came when Jimin left her behind. She was eighteen, and she thought her life was already figured out then.

Many years later, the said encounter became nothing but a tiny fragment of her memory. Yet, on nights like this, right before she closes her eyes and sleep, a reminder disturbs her.

His face. How sound Jimin sleeps next to her, the way his eyelids flutter as he shifts further into the covers. The headboard light illuminates his skin, and it glows making him shine in the darkness of the night.

Her marriage has been nothing else but a healthy one. She knows it very well—how her first love, now the man she calls her last, changed beautifully over the years.

Both of them worked so hard to get to this point, where every day it becomes easier and more bearable than ever. And she is more than happy.

Tonight, like the rest of the other ones that came before, Jeongyeon screams and stands up to sit on their bed. She breathes heavily, her hand tugs on her chest, clenching on her silk night dress as the other dips onto the mattress.

Her eyes travels around the room, the little light coming somewhere from outside bringing her senses to function well. She glances next to her, where Jimin squeezes his eyes then meeting hers.

His hand reaches for her back, and slowly, he gets up, ruffling his hair in the process. He gazes up at her agitated look, her teary eyes peering into his dark orbs causing him to blink a little nervously.

"Hey, what's wrong?"

Jeongyeon sighs, brushing her locks with her sweaty fingers before leaning on him, to his chest as he brings his arm around her.

"Another bad dream?"

She nods as she sinks deep, relaxing a bit when she sniffs his musky scent. A small smile curling on her lips.

"It's almost the same dream, except that the dress was black, not white," she states, hugging him tightly.

"Is everything okay?" he asks, rubbing his palm onto her hair. She nods again, a hiccup escapes her mouth.

"Just work and some other stuff, but overall I guess it's normal?" she says, finding a loose thread behind his shirt and fiddles on it.

He huffs, and pulls away slightly, his hand moves to bring some of her hair behind her ears. Jimin cups her cheek, then tilting her chin to look up at him.