19 - A swelling storm

read at your own discretion.

♡♡♡

I can take the fall, the pain, the pleasure
And you can take it all, for worse, or better
But oh, what if we're wrong
What if we're not all that we thought?

"Daddy? Are you busy?"

Jimin lifts his head up and finds Jiyeon at the door, peeking in. Hesitant to come in, she waits, tapping her finger on the knob.

"Oh, baby uh I'm just grading papers but come on in."

Jiyeon inches forward, glancing at the bed then to him, "I thought—wait, where's mommy?"

She props herself on the bed, brushing a hand over the cold but smooth mattress.

Jimin adjusts his glasses and pauses his work for a moment and pushes the chair back, standing up to walk towards her.

Giving her a smile, he sits next to her and rubs her back, "She went to visit Aunt Seungyeon, baby. By the way, is there anything I can do for you?"

Jiyeon nods, returning his smile yet there's a hint of worry in her eyes, worry for Jeongyeon, whom she had not seen for days at home.

"Oh, nothing. I just thought we could go out for milkshake? Uh, Taetae texted me and said there's a newly opened shop near the park."

Jimin purses his lips, thinking, "There is? Did he invite you out?"

She shakes her head, "No no, honestly, I asked him but he said he needs to pay his parents a visit back home. Anyway, perhaps we can go instead?"

"Oh, o-okay, but mommy... Will it be okay if she's not around?"

Jiyeon looks down at her feet, fighting the urge to ask about what's been bothering her mind, yet decides to save it for later.

She shows him a rather forced smile, somehow telling him she's not a kid anymore, and that whatever might be going on between her parents is already her concern.

However, Jimin makes sure to act as if he doesn't notice and grins, ruffling her hair.

"Alright then we'll just take pictures so we can show her the place. Now go get dressed, I'd just wrap my work up quick," he says, getting up as he grabs her wrist and swings them.

Jiyeon nods, thinking maybe she can ask him when they're at the shop, "Okay dad, see you in a bit!"

She proceeds back to her room, shutting the door behind her softly as Jimin sighs heavily, heart breaking at his own act.

He could never hide anything from his daughter, that's something he's always sure of even when she was younger.

She never failed to notice when something is wrong, and all Jimin could think of his how should he respond once she starts asking.

Just before he puts on his baseball cap and jacket, his phone rings. He grabs it from his desk, blood runs cold at the sight of the caller.

He places it on his ear, taking a deep breath as he waits on the other line.

"Any updates?"