23 - The lost light

♡♡♡

When you're high, I'll take the lows

You can ebb and I can flow

And we'll take it slow

It is not the scent of the food on its way to be served, or the sound of voices out of random chitchats amongst the students gathered around that makes Jimin feel like taking a step back.

Reality has struck him cold, blunt like a hammer thrown upon his head so harsh yet the intention isn't to hurt him; it is to awaken him after having gone to sleep for long.

It was time to wake up and get going, almost a year of being on his own, working as a tutor now as he takes care of Jiyeon on weekends as she has been with Seulgi for months now; and there's an addition to the tasks he is required to accomplish.

It took him a while, time flew by quick as the wind changed and it's almost the end of the fall, when he simply went tired and numb of all the days and nights sleeping and living alone.

The house he is supposed to move into with Jeongyeon and Jiyeon is eighty percent finished, and as much excited as he was once when he signed under the title ownership of the land, the anticipation has long been faded.

Life hasn't been better without her. Jimin could barely feel anything else in his bones these days.

All he is left is the pieces stuck to him by force, pinning him for what seems like an eternity. What's worse is the fact that he is on a brand new journey, he's gone back to school, and practically everything else around reminds him of Jeongyeon.

Standing a little too stiff by the door to the cafeteria, Jimin has his eyes glued to the students surrounding the open area, scrutinizing each group positioned in different tables like they own it, hoping to find at least one where he could fit in.

"Excuse me? Uh, you okay?" 

A female voice startles him, he turns around slightly, enough to see the face of a young woman in thick glasses and the biggest, brightest smile he's ever seen in a while.

"Oh--I, yeah I am... fine?"

The uncertainty in his voice causes a small chuckle to escape from the woman's mouth, then her smile returns gradually as she tries to read his mind, eyebrows knitting together.

"Institute of Education?"

Eyeing his ID hanging off a lanyard, she hugs her textbooks in her chest and puzzles. He rubs his palm against his jeans and offers a handshake and nods, "Y-yes, I'm Jimin."

"Hmm, you don't seem so young yourself. Are you in your thirties, perhaps?"

He gapes, wondering if he's gotten really that old with his face. Does he look old? He wants to let the question spill out, but the look on his face tells the woman he's taken aback.

She laughs, covering her mouth as her glasses fall on the tip of her nose, "Oh god, I'm so sorry! I... oppa? I'm... I just turned 23 yesterday..."

Somehow, her laughter fills the room and lightens the tension Jimin has been feeling since he got to the cafeteria. He smiles, scratching the back of his head.