Chapter 16- The banquet

"Your highness, your gown looks stunning as always." Said Julie while styling my hair.

"All thanks to your hard work," I replied with a smile.

"By the way, a messenger had dropped this off when you were sleeping, your highness." Said Amy as she brought out a small-sized pretty box.

"Really? Who is it from?" I asked.

"Well, it's from the prince of Ambrosia." Said Amy.

".....is that so?"

I placed the box on my dressing table and opened it carefully. To my surprise, there was a beautiful diamond studded bracelet. A note had come along with it that was present inside the box, It read:

This is a gift in return for the bracelet you had given me that day. I hope that this is suited to your tastes.

P.S- If you don't wear it I shall return the pink bracelet you gave me that day at the commoner's quarters in front of his majesty :P
--------

I was trembling with anger after reading that. He's trying to blackmail me!!! That scumbag!!

"Your highness, what's wrong?" Asked Julie.

I crumbled the letter up and threw it away immediately.

"Julie, tell Sir Eric that I want a complete background check on prince Eros de Ambrosia as soon as possible," I said.

"Yes, your highness I shall inform him." Said Julie.

I wore the bracelet around my wrist even though I didn't want to. I could not afford to be caught by the emperor. I was so angry that he was playing me this way. If I get caught then not only me but the real Cynthia's friend and my maids will be in trouble. I need some dirt on him first. Come to think of it....what was he doing here a month ago at the commoner's quarters in the first place?!

I have to find out tonight. I wore my heels and headed to my carriage to go to the banquet.

******
(At the banquet hall)

The banquet hall was filled with the chatters of nobles and their families. The royal family was yet to arrive whereas the prince of Ambrosia was already present. The recent rumors among the nobles were regarding the prince of Ambrosia, who is apparently the most eligible bachelor.

After some time a knight announced the arrival of the Castina royal family. Cynthia and Ruveliss stood on either side of the emperor while he gave a speech. Soon the banquet was in action. Everyone was enjoying themselves. The nobles, the emperor, and the prince were busy getting acquainted while Cynthia was sweating bullets from all the anxiety.

Dancing with the prince might become a big deal. Not only both of us are yet to find a fiance but even the circumstances match perfectly. Nobles might think that a political marriage between the kingdom of Ambrosia and the Castina empire is the real reason the prince was called here.

There wasn't much time for the dance to begin and I was already regretting it. It's not like I am forced to dance with him but if I don't, my questions will be left unanswered.

I took a deep breath and tried to calm myself down.

"Good evening, your highness." Said a familiar voice.