Chapter 35- The Festival

Finally, the week of the long-awaited Starlight festival had arrived. Commoners would wait for this week every year. It was one of the most known festivals in Castina for the commoners. Many noble children attended the festival at the commoner's quarters during the day but the real fun began at night.

"Knife check, handkerchief check, money check, eyemask check, self-made pepper spray check! Alright, I am ready to go to the festival now." I said while tying my hair in a ponytail.

I came to know about the starlight festival from Aristia and Carsein. They wanted to attend the festival, but I guess they couldn't because they are at Monique estate right now. Well, that's good for me. As long as Carsein doesn't know it should be fine.

I dressed up in men's clothing and threw on a leather cloak on top of my outfit. I tucked the knife in the backside of my pants and made sure it was hidden properly by the cloak. I wrapped my tiny purse where I kept my money with my handkerchief and hid it in my pocket along with the pepper spray.

I am not looking for any violence although, a girl's got to do what a girl's got to do.

My last visit at the commoner's quarters did not go well so it would be better to prepare for any possibilities beforehand.

It was already 10:30 pm so my ladies in waiting had already gone to their rooms. The knights might be on a strict patrol right now but that won't stop me. Good thing I had discovered that secret passage a long time ago. I have already calculated each guard's time to pass by the garden where the secret passage is. Since everyone thinks I am sleeping right now it should not be any problem.

I cautiously went down to the garden and managed to avoid the guards. The secret exit was embedded into the wall that was covered with thick climbers. I had to be extra careful so that no one will see me. I carefully parted the thick climbers that covered the wall and pushed a small brick that would let me access the passage. The passage was finally opened and now I could escape.

********

Cynthia walked till the streets of the nobles' territory and from there she was able to take a carriage to the commoner's quarters. When she finally arrived at the commoner's quarters she could see the streets filled with lights and the lively chatter of people. The markets and stalls were already filled with people while the lights lit up the entire place.

I paid for the carriage fare and got off to explore the markets. I made sure to keep my hood on the entire time I was there. This carnival was different from what I saw in my previous life. This wasn't some kind of 'hot girl summer' carnival. There were no rides of any sort there was only one Ferris wheel and a boat ride for activities. But besides that, other stalls had games to play and food to snack on.

I could hear the sound of shopkeepers catcalling for their products to be sold. The smell of the food had already made my mouth drool. There was a lake beside the market area where the festival was held. The boat rides had already begun and children were running around almost everywhere. I looked up at the large clock tower where the needles indicated that it was just 11 pm. The fireworks were going to begin at midnight so I still had time.

The security at these kinds of places was really low so I had to keep my guard up at all times no matter what happened.

Regardless of that this whole scene reminded me of New Year's eve at a carnival, I spent with my friends back in Korea. The fireworks always managed to steal the show at the end.

Since I still have time until the fireworks start I might as well enjoy myself.

I started by hogging on the delicious food. Eros was right, no wonder people look forward to the food. My favorite was the one that looked like tornado potatoes and French fries corn dog because they have always been my favorite even back in Korea.