Chapter 38- Bad influence

Cynthia's ladies in waiting were worried for her. They didn't know why was their princess in such deep thought. Deep enough to even not to pay attention to her breakfast. Instead, Cynthia was going through all the documents and tax collection that she was appointed with.

"Your highness, are you not feeling well?" Asked Julie.

".....Julie, do you think I talk more than what's needed? I mean, his majesty is..." I said in a dazed tone.

"What do you mean? Did his majesty say something to you?" Asked Estella.

I looked at both of them with a blank expression.

"Well, somewhat like that....it happened two days ago when his majesty called Ruveliss and me for lunch after Ruveliss returned," I said.
_______________

( Two days ago at the main palace.)

"What?! A new office?" I asked in astonishment.

"Yes, after seeing how well you had organized the grain distribution and collection of taxes I was impressed by your work. So I have decided to give you the position of queen regent proxy and of course since you will be the highest-ranking female in the empire you will need a good office at the main palace." He said while sipping on his wine.

I was stunned to hear what the emperor had said. Queen regent proxy? Does that mean I will be in the position of a queen? That's even higher than a crown prince! Not to mention having an office at the main palace is a huge thing which the real Cynthia had been trying to accomplish from day one.

I glanced towards Ruveliss who was calmly eating. Knowing him, I thought he would be angry or jealous that now I rank higher to him and if I want I could compete against him for the throne again. But obviously, I wouldn't do that because I had no interest in the throne in the first place.

"You shall begin your duties two days from now because as you are already aware that you shall be going to Ambrosia as a part of our delegate campaign." Said the emperor.

"Yeas, father." I replied.

Honestly, I was very happy that I received the title of the queen regent proxy. This proves that my hard work did not go in vain.

"I heard that you encountered the prince of the kingdom of Sono when you were inspecting the borders. I heard they were on border inspections as well." Said the emperor to Ruveliss.

"Yes, I did. But everything went smoothly. Apparently, the kingdom of Sono will be forming a political alliance with the kingdom of Lisa through marriage." Said Ruveliss.

"Hmm.....I've heard that the king of Lisa will be marrying one of the princesses from the kingdom of Sono." Said the emperor.

The king? Isn't he like in his early or something? Since girls are married earlier here that means.....

"Umm...do you know who old she is, the princess?" I asked

"Around 17 perhaps. If you are asking about the age gap it is 20 years." Said Ruveliss.

"What?! That's insane!" I said.

"That is quite 'normal' in the northern kingdoms to have such large age gaps." Said Ruveliss.

"T-then....is he a pedophile?" I asked in a whisper.

The emperor almost choked on his food when he heard Cynthia say that.

Cynthia turned to look at the emperor who looked very flustered.

"Ahem! Isn't calling the king a pedophile a bit too much? Larger age gaps is common at the northern kingdoms." Said the emperor.