Chapter 36- The Festival(2)

So in the end Lucius decided to tag along with me with the excuse of it being too unsafe for him to roam the streets alone. That was an excuse to keep me safe, but it would be rude to tell him that he can't come along. I looked up at the clock tower and saw that only 10 mins remained until the clock struck at midnight.

"Thank you for keeping me in your care your highness." Said, Lucius.

"Don't call me that right now. I don't want my cover to be blown! You can call me Cynthia for tonight, alright?" I said.

Lucius's eyes widened at what I said then finally spoke again.

"Then, please call me Lucius." He said.

"Sure. The fireworks are going to begin! We should hurry up and find a good place to watch them from, Lucius." I said with a smile.

"I know a perfect place from where we can watch the fireworks. Please follow me." He said.

I followed behind Lucius to find a good place to see the fireworks. The crowd had increased tremendously because the fireworks were about to start. Lucius grabbed my hand firmly.

"This is just in case I don't get lost." He said.

Pfft! How cute...

He led me to the staircase of the clock tower. We reached the top from where the entire carnival could be seen from up. The sight was honestly breathtaking. I turned to look at Lucius that had stood there gently smiling at the scene.

"Sir-  I mean Lucius, you didn't need to say that. I already know you are doing this for me." I said.

"Doing what?"

"Staying with me to ensure my safety. I appreciate it. So in return, I shall keep you safe as well." I said.

Lucius looked at me and chuckled.

"Thank you. But, your highness, how were you going to defend yourself if a problem would arise?" He asked.

I pulled out the dagger that I had hid behind me. Lucius flinched slightly when he saw that. Ah, did I startle him? I didn't mean to.

"I have a pepper spray as well it's more effective than you think. Don't worry about me." I said.

"Pepper spray...?"

I took out my handkerchief from my pocket and unwrapped the pepper spray from it and tossed it in his direction.

"This is a pepper spray. It's powerful enough to make your eyes burn like crazy. The attacker won't be able to see properly for a long time until he washes his eyes multiple times." I said.

"H-how do you have such a deadly weapon with you?" Asked Lucius with a concerned look.

"It's only for self-defense. You can keep it with you because I can make more." I said.

"......princess you are scary." He said.

"Pfft! Hahaha! You won't need to worry as long as you keep my secret." I said and he smiled at me.

I leaned towards the balustrade of the tower and rested my elbows on them. The cool wind blew through my hair.

"Your high- I mean, Cynthia.....I have something to tell you." Said Lucius with his hand on the back of his neck.

"What is it?" I asked.

"Well, you see...we have known each other for years and I've been
thinking-  "

"Look! It started!" I said pointing at the sky.

Before Lucius could finish what he wanted to say the sound of fireworks caught Cynthia's attention. Beautiful colors of light exploded in the sky lighting the night up. They could hear people below them cheer and clap at the sight of the fireworks. The bright spiraling of colors bursting and twinkling in the sky stole the entire show.