Chapter 31- Ounce of Guilt

(2½ months later)

"It's been long enough. Even the knights asked about you. When are you going to visit the palace again?" Asked Iyana.

"I would really like to visit the royal training grounds but if I do then I would need to meet the emperor as well and trust me that's not something I am looking forward to," I confessed.

My probation had finished a month and a half ago. Although, I continued to stay in my own palace instead of going to the main palace. When Ruveliss had his coming of age ceremony last month I exchanged only necessary conversations with the royal family. During the period of my confinement, I skillfully completed all the work that was assigned to me, not only that but I also decided to work on my swordsmanship skills. After Ruveliss's coming of age ceremony I kept inviting Iyana to my palace by which I learned about the things that were happening around me without stepping out of my palace.

Whenever I had work in the main palace I would ask Sir Eric to collect and deliver the documents and papers for me. Avoiding the Emperor and Ruveliss would be a good idea. I also exchanged letters with Eros regarding our plan.

What truly pissed me off was the fact the emperor never gave me a chance to speak when he raged out at me. But that day is still a mystery to me. I just had to trust my instincts that the nectar from that day was poisoned since I have no concrete proof. What has me worried is that I haven't got results from Duke Arkint after I told him to investigate the incident. If he did investigate the incident then he would've told the emperor the results for sure.

What is surprising is that the emperor still hasn't called me personally despite being two months and a half since the incident happened.

"So you're planning to hibernate like this until you drop your grudge against his majesty?" She asked.

"No, it's....just.....I want to sit in my palace and I'm not hibernating. Duchess Ernia has invited me to Rass mansion so I have to go. " I said.

"That's after you turned down the invitation twice already."

"Geez Iyana cut me some slack!"

Iyana looked at me and cocked one eyebrow.

"Ha...fine. I guess I'll let it slide for now. But more importantly, What are the results of the investigation that you asked Duke Arkint to carry out?" She said.

"I wonder.....he never reported back. That is what is making me so anxious." I said.

"Don't worry too much. What's the worst that could happen...?" Asked Iyana.

Julie approached our table and bowed to us.

"Your highness, I am sorry for the interruption but the prince is here to see you." Said Julie with a flustered expression.

"What?!" I asked with a surprised look.

"W-wait, didn't the prince return back to Ambrosia?" Asked Iyana with a confused look.

"Yes, but I was talking about his highness prince Ruveliss." Said Julie.

"Why is he here? I did not call him!!" I said in an irritated voice.

"I am afraid I don't know why your highness." Said Julie.

Great! Just great!

*********

( Three days after the farewell banquet)

"Your Majesty, Duke Arkint has requested a private audience urgently." Said, Count Vincent.

"Send him in." Said the emperor.

Ruveliss had just finished sorting out the necessary documents that were needed to be sent to Cynthia's palace so she could complete them during her probation. Everything was going quite well for Ruveliss considering that Cynthia was put on probation and he was getting heavily credited for his hard work.