Chapter 18- Awkward encounters

It was 2 am and yet I couldn't fall asleep or stop thinking about today's events. So much had happened in such a short time. I kept tossing and turning on my bed unable to sleep. Since the emperor and Ruveliss will be busy with the negotiations with the envoys they will be out of my way for the next two days. It's a good thing I withdrew from the competition in time. Otherwise, I would've needed to attend as well.

I got up from my bed, wrapped a shawl around my shoulders, and lit a candle. I think I need some fresh air. I walked out of my bed chambers and down the corridor that led to the balcony. This was the first time I had left my room so late at night after coming to this world.

I stepped into my balcony that had the best view of the garden. The cold breeze made me feel relaxed.

"It shall be monsoon soon...." I said to myself.

I leaned on the balustrade and once again went into deep thought.

Firstly, I think I should go visit the temple of Vita later today. After all, I needed to talk with his holiness regarding this dream.
Secondly, I know that Eros, that airhead is hiding something. What in the world was a prince from another kingdom doing here in the commoner's quarters a month before the actual banquet?! Not to mention that the identity of the jaguar might be Eros.

Ha...I wish I had someone on my side. I would like to live a peaceful life and not interfere with the original plot of the story. I need an excuse or more importantly a scapegoat.

"......I should head back to my chambers and get some sleep before I start to lose my mind," I said to myself.

Just as I was about to leave the balcony and head to my room, my sight fell on the orange lilies that I asked the gardener to plant. They have bloomed quite beautifully.

I walked back to my room and flopped down on my bed. Why did I reincarnate as Cynthia... I might seem ungrateful at this point but there is more than what meets the eye. Beyond the jewelry and luxury, there is a constant danger to my life. I need to be wary of the royal family as well. Not to mention my position is unstable.

The members of a family rely on the favor of the head of the house. As long as the members of the family are on the good side of the head they are provided with what they need. The successor of the house is usually the firstborn or a son. Whereas, the position of the second-born child during this era is...well, uncertain. I am still confused why did the emperor would allow Cynthia to claim the throne? Was it because of the Oracle or....was he just using her? No that can't be right...

For some reason I feel that even though he is strict, he still cares. Even in the novel the emperor tried to help Ruveliss to win Aristia over and its not like he ignores me, so as long as I don't fall out of his favor I should be alright. When Ruveliss becomes emperor, he would want to get rid of me that's for sure. So no matter what, I need to cut ties with Ruveliss before it's too late. I think I know why the real Cynthia used to kiss up to the emperor. But I have done something like that.

According to Eros, the emperor was the one who gave him instructions to go to commoners' quarters. I need to find out if that is true or not and if it is then for what reason.

Well, first things first. I need to visit the temple first thing in the morning and then head to the main palace.

The emperor is making me do 30 percent of what Ruveliss is doing. Well, I think it's only fair that as a princess I am supposed to be contributing some of my time to look at the affairs of the empire. But also as someone who is not the next heir shouldn't be given equal work as the successor.

******

The next morning, Cynthia headed towards the temple as soon as possible. The one person she actually relied on for answers was the high priest himself.