Chapter 19- Capable enough?

"I can't believe you are going to read all of these!" Said Carsein while looking at my books.

When I told Carsein that I was headed to the library to pick up some books he insisted on helping me carry them because he had nothing to do.

"Thank you for helping me carry them back to my carriage," I said.

"That's not a problem. Why do you have to read all of them in the first place?" He asked.

"Well, his majesty has given me the responsibility to manage the grain distribution around the empire so I need to know about the grain distribution done in the past by previous Empresses and princesses. " I said.

"But isn't this too much?" He asked as he handed over all the books to my knight who then put them in the carriage.

"Well, it's still a lot less compared to what the crown prince or emperor has to do. " I said.

Carsein kept talking formally with me which did not suit him but it was really cute. Everyone here matures very early so Carsein is probably the only one who acts his age but comes around like a little kid according to this era.

"Princess, there is something I have been wanting to ask you for a long time." Said Carsein while rubbing the back of his neck.

"What do you want to ask me?" I asked.

"Well....it's about the day we met at the commoner's quarters. Was it your first time you went there?"

"W-what do you mean?" I asked Hesitantly.

"What I mean to ask is....was that you? The girl who was involved with the Baron that day?" He asked.

"....."

Why are we still talking about this? That incident is long gone!

"I am sorry if I overstepped my boundaries. I shouldn't- "

"Yes, it was me. But I did not stab him, someone else did." I said while cutting in between.

Carsein was surprised by what Cynthia had just said. He already knew the answer to his question he just wanted to listen to what excuse Cynthia would give. But to his surprise, she had instantly accepted that it was her.

"Why....would you accept it so easily. Aren't you worried that I would tell someone?" He asked.

"Sir Carsein, you are one of the people that know this secret. I am desperately trying to hide this from his majesty because if he gets to know about this he would probably confine me in my palace until I am wed off. My freedom will be snatched away instantly. But the reason I am telling you this is because I trust you. I know that we aren't close but you seem trustworthy to me."

Carsein could not believe what he had just heard. His whole life he thought of the royal family were cold-hearted people who would always build a wall around themselves. But Cynthia had proved him wrong. She smiled brightly at him and confidently said that she trusted him.

Cynthia had finally had broken down the metal wall that Carsein had built around himself when it came to the royal family.

"Your highness, I promise to take this secret to my grave. I shall never bring this up ever again." Said Carsein.

"Thank you, Sir Carsein," I said.

After some time Carsein had to go back to the Rass mansion with the duchess.

Good thing I met Carsein when he is young. It would've been hard for him to trust me if he was older. To cut ties from the royal family I would need people who would have a significant influence on my side. It seems that I was able to break the metal wall that was around Carsein.