Meeting Iorek

(Y/N) Point of View

"You sure that Lyra isn't lying?" Dad asked me as we turned a dark muddy corner, when night came. 

"I'm sure she isn't," I said. "I know that you didn't like her at first glance but she really is interesting once you get to know her,"

"It was actually a good idea that you talked to her. You know if I had known who she was or that you were me, we probably could have learnt Iorek's location sooner,"

"You gotta admit. There's something quite intriguing about her. You know it's quite ironic, isn't it?"

"What is?"

"That we came here looking for Iorek, only for Lyra, a girl who's never left the college she was raised in, to come and find him before us,"

"I suppose you're right. When you talked to her, what did she say she needed Iorek for,"

"It appears the Magisterium is stealing children. And the Gyptains with Lyra want to free them. The Witch Consul in Trollesund advised them to recruit Iorek,"

"Well, they're not goanna get him to come, not as long as they don't know where his armour is,"

"Do you suppose he knows?"

"We'll have to wait and find out,"

"It's get late," Hester groaned. I saw she had climbed up the stair railings. Astar, in the form of an Arctic Fox was with her. 

Just out of the corner of my eye, I saw a fluffy white head. "Dad, I think we've found him,"

"IOREK BYRNISON!" my dad cried out. He waited for a reply but the bear uttered no word. He looked at me. "You might want to stay back a bit," he whispered. "He's drunk and so prone to violence,"

I nodded and kept a little behind him. 

"It's uh...it's been some time. What are you doing here?" he asked. 

"It hasn't been some time," the bold voice of the exiled bear spoke. He sounded grumpy. "It's been three years,"

"Three years, long as all that,"

"It has not been a good three years," he snapped. 

"Can we help you?" he asked. "I owe you. We both know it," 

"How can you help me?" he demanded, stepping into sight. I hid behind him a bit. 

"Some look good naked. You do not," Dad blurted out, making Iorek pulling his head back out of sight. "Who has it? Your armour?"

"I am drunk Lee! And not behaving as a bear should, and I'd rather you leave me,"

"And what if I don't wanna go? You know when I see an old friend, I'm inclined to tell him where I've been, the adventures I've had. You know I've brought someone here to see you,"

Iorek stepped out. His paws and his fluffy stomach were dirty. He could see me more clearly. He fixed his gaze right on me. 

"Who is this?" 

"This is my daughter (Y/N),"

I stepped out from behind him. I felt Aster perch on my shoulder in the form of a hawk. 

He walked forward and took a clear look at me. He gave me a sniff. Aster turned into a mouse and hid in the folds of my scar. "I can see the resemblance,"

I took a deep breath. "My dad and I have come all this way, from Texas, to see you. I've always wanted to meet an armoured bear. And for a long time, I've always wanted to learn about the life of an armoured bear, get to know him, see him in his armour. How has a great bear like you who risked his life to save my father come to be in this town? Why are you here drunk and without you armour, when you could be living like a king on the ice?"

Iorek growled a little, probably offended by my words. I wished I hadn't have said them. 

"I have done things I can't talk about," he said sadly. 

"Everyone does things they regret. You shouldn't be ashamed of yourself for it," 

Iorek still wasn't swayed. 

I took a deep breath. "Whatever it is that you've done...my dad wouldn't judge you. I wouldn't judge you. We're not like the people in this town, the ones who put you here," 

"But what if I deserve to be judged?" he said, about to turn his back on us.

"If you tell us where your armour is, we can help you," I implored. 

"I don't know! Now leave me," he began to stalk back into his den. 

"We came here just for you," Dad said, not giving up.  

"Then you should leave!" he roared. I staggered back. "I neither asked you to come Lee, nor do I want you or your daughter to stay,"  he stalked away into the darkness. 

"You can't just push him away like that!" I ranted. "We're only here to help you! And you shouldn't turn your back on other people who need your help too!"

He growled again and I shivered. I stepped back, afraid that I would make him more angry. 

I looked up at my dad and saw he was crestfallen. He gently took me by the shoulder and led me away. I took a glance back at Iorek's head which had peeped out. He looked rather hurt from the look in his eyes. His bad temper could not hide his nature. 

We walked back to the inn and we fell asleep. For a long time I couldn't sleep. I was kept awake that night by my dad's constant snoring which even kept Hester up that she had to flatten her ears to block out the sound. Aster curled around my neck in the form of a weasel. 

"That bear looked so hurt," he said. 

I nodded. 

"You really think we can find his armour?" he said. 

"It would be difficult,"

"Are you sure you want to be a part of this cause?"

"What cause?"

"You know what I mean (Y/N), helping rescue these children,"

"We have to Aster. Lyra wasn't the only one who helped us that day. Roger did. We have to help them. And during these last four years, we have seen what kind of people the Magisterium are. Too condescending. Too controlling. Too oppressive. Yes it's reckless. But it's the right thing. And something tells me, we have an important role in this,"

Aster didn't say anything else. He was too tired. As was I. I fell asleep, thinking about how we would help Lyra convince my dad to help us.